Questions: What is the Sacred Secret? and Locusts of Abyss?

by Guest with Questions 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I have a copy of May 1,1998 Watchtower. When I heard a few years ago about the witnesses believing that they were the locusts I thought it was just a rumour; that even for a JW org it was too far fetched. A few weeks ago I read about it again on this site. So I decided to asked my mother if she had a copy of it. Surprisingly she gave me the copy. Sure enough it was true - that in 1998 they believed this. When my mother asked what I was looking for I told her I wasn't sure. She then mentioned about the light getting brighter. I assume that what I would read might not be what the witnesses still believe because they have new light. Do they still believe that they are the locusts. My understanding is that the locusts worship Abaddon who is the devil or a demon but who they claimed was Jesus?

Also she mentioned that she was overjoyed by what she found out last week about the Sacred Secret. She was about to tell me but then said that she didn't know enough to talk to me about it. This confuses me. How can she be overjoyed about something that she doesn't totally understand. She did mention that it had to with the annointed.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I remember that from the Revelation book as well. "Oooooohhh....look how annoying we are exposing christendom, just like a swarm of locusts."

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Page 144 of Rev. book makes this claim, 1988 though might be old light.

http://www.megspace.com/religion/museltof/1jws.html

This is a very good article on the subject, shows how foolish JW,s stance is.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

When this article came out in 1998 there was a lot of discussion online about how completely moronic it was that Jehovah's Witnesses/the Society applied the "work" of the locusts to themselves (Joel 1 - Joel 2:11) but NOT GOD destroying the locusts and restoring the land because of their work (as seen in Joel 2:12 -- ).

The MOST TELLING feature was in the following article which purportedly takes the study through Joel 2 accounting for each verse, carefully and slyly omits any consideration of Joel 2:25 (or 26-30).

Here is the excerpt from the second article where you can see that the discussion simply jumps over from verse 24 to verse 30, carefully omitting consideration or mention of the "damaging" scriptures.

If any JWs were actually reading from the bible and reading all the scriptures in tact, no doubt they would have found Joel 2:25 very puzzling to the interpretation that Jehovah's Witnesses were represented by the locusts as espoused in the Watchtower study.

*** w98 5/1 pp. 17-18 Who Will "Get Away Safe"? ***

A

Spiritual Paradise

That is the way both the anointed and the other sheep view things, and as a result, Jehovah blesses them. "Jehovah will be zealous for his land and will show compassion upon his people." (Joel 2:18) In 1919, Jehovah showed zeal and compassion for his people when he restored them and brought them into his realm of spiritual activity. This is truly a spiritual paradise, well described by Joel in these words: "Do not be fearful, O ground. Be joyful and rejoice; for Jehovah will actually do a great thing in what He does. Do not be fearful, you beasts of the open field, for the pasture grounds of the wilderness will certainly grow green. For the tree will actually give its fruitage. The fig tree and the vine must give their vital energy. And, you sons of Zion, be joyful and rejoice in Jehovah your God; for he will be bound to give you the autumn rain in right measure, and he will bring down upon you people a downpour, autumn rain and spring rain, as at the first. And the threshing floors must be full of cleansed grain, and the press vats must overflow with new wine and oil."—Joel 2:21-24.

What a delightful picture! Abundant provisions of three staples of life in Israel—grain, olive oil, and wine—together with plentiful flocks. In our day those prophetic words are indeed fulfilled in a spiritual way. Jehovah provides us all the spiritual food we need. Do we not all delight in such God-given abundance? Truly, as Malachi foretold, our God has ‘opened the floodgates of the heavens and emptied out upon us a blessing until there is no more want.’—Malachi 3:10.

The

End of a System of Things

It is after foretelling the paradisaic condition of God’s people that Joel prophesies about the pouring out of Jehovah’s spirit. When Peter quoted this prophecy at Pentecost, he said that it was fulfilled "in the last days." (Acts 2:17) The outpouring of God’s spirit back then meant that the last days had begun for the Jewish system of things. The outpouring of God’s spirit on the Israel of God in the 20th century means that we are living in the last days of the worldwide system of things. In view of this, what does the future hold? Joel’s prophecy goes on to tell us: "I will give portents in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun itself will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and fear-inspiring day of Jehovah."—Joel 2:30, 31.

-----------

In my opinion, this was just another example of the Society expressing its spiritual arrogance -- similar to the way it has done in foreseeing the fullment of scripture or bible prophecy in its own Organizational history on many occassions. However, since these scriptures do not apply to Jehovah's Witnesses at all and the locusts do not represent them, there is no need to contemplate any further meaning with respect to "Abaddon" or to conclude that this means that they are sinister or serving the army of the destroyer.

-Eduardo

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

JWDUBZ must have watched Excorcist 2.See what tv does to people--

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Funny thought...Years ago I created a web site concerning this Locusts thing in REVELATIONS. So with Peter Barnes help here's the link....

http://members.fortunecity.com/frankraven/TheLocusts.html

• Severus
    Severus

The "sacred secret" is basically how JWs describe the series of covenants or contracts that God made with humans throughout history, while gradually making known his purpose. Of course this culminates in our day through the "new light" made known only through the Watchtower Society. This is critical to understanding the mystique of the JW organisation within the mind of a typical JW. See below:

Draw Close to Jehovah

chap. 19 p. 198 par. 23 "God’s Wisdom in a Sacred Secret"

The apostle Paul wrote: "The sacred secret that was hidden from the past systems of things and from the past generations . . . has been made manifest to his holy ones." (Colossians 1:26) Yes, Jehovah’s anointed holy ones have come to understand much about the sacred secret, and they have shared such knowledge with millions. What a privilege all of us have! Jehovah has "made known to us the sacred secret of his will." (Ephesians 1:9) Let us share this marvelous secret with others, helping them likewise to peer into the unfathomable wisdom of Jehovah God!

The subject of the "sacret secret" was featured in a recent WT study - this may explain your mother's fervor. Why, in particular, it was so interesting fails me.

The Locusts have to be chalked up to weird JW interpretation. I'll let the WT speak for itself here:

Watchtower 1992 5/1 p. 11 pars. 10-11 Keep Close in Mind the Day of Jehovah

This is a campaign extraordinaire, one that will be memorialized for all time. Wave upon wave of insects, most prominently locusts, devastate the land. What does this mean? Revelation 9:1-12 also speaks of a plague of locusts, sent forth by Jehovah under "a king, the angel of the abyss," who is none other than Christ Jesus. His names Abaddon (Hebrew) and Apollyon (Greek) mean "Destruction" and "Destroyer." These locusts picture the anointed remnant of Christians who, now in the Lord’s day, go forth to devastate Christendom’s pastures by completely exposing false religion and proclaiming Jehovah’s vengeance upon it.

As indicated by Revelation 9:13-21, the locust plague is succeeded by a huge plague of cavalry. How true this is today, as the few thousand remaining anointed Christians are reinforced by more than four million "other sheep" together making up an irresistible cavalry! (John 10:16) They unite in proclaiming Jehovah’s stinging judgments on Christendom’s idolaters and on those who ‘do not repent of their murders nor of their spiritistic practices nor of their fornication nor of their thefts.’ Clergy—both Catholic and Protestant—who have actively supported the murderous wars of this century, as well as pedophiliac priests and perverted TV evangelists, are among those against whom these judgment messages are directed.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

We're no longer locusts, we've become crickets. they make pretty chirping sounds.

Plus, the dubs work alone or in groups. (see wikipedia)

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Just another tibbit.....while I was studying with the witnesses, one of the main issues, they say is, many a church, kept secrets from us, yet the watchtower kept on harping on this so called Sacred Secret. Yet Christ told us that all things would be reveled to us when the Holy Spirit came to us.

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. So for those who desire to know the Holy Spirit will teach us....So there really isn't any secret, because the Holy Spirit is ours to learn.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

This was one of those moments of embarrassment for me, as a witness. My BS meter was screaming loudly, and I just wish I'd listened to it sooner! LOL! Glad I'm free of this shit.

Terri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit