Define or explain...

by LaCatolica 14 Replies latest jw friends

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

"WORLDLY". (Please! )

I've heard this term used a lot around JWs, (Mundano/a) in spanish. I often think of it as an insult!

• kid-A
    kid-A

It is a "catch-all" phrase invented by the JWs to describe anything and everything found outside the physical and/or psychological universe of the JW. In other words, anything that is not approved by the watchtower corporation. For something to be worldly means it is "under the control of satan and this wicked system of things" and must be strictly avoided by the JW..... this includes but is not limited to:

1) Worldly holidays (x-mas, easter, b-days, etc)

2) Worldly girlfriends or boyfriends

3) Worldly clothing or fashions

4) Wordly music or dancing

ad infinitum.....

• carla
    carla

in short, anything non jw.

• lawrence
    lawrence

A living being who is aware of the world's existence and reality and doesn't walk around with blinders believing they are from another galaxy, going into an artificial paradise where hypocrits live forever with wild animals and WT trivia fanatics - do you know how many return visits were made in Somalia in 2006?

• Gopher
    Gopher

The "world" as we know it will soon end, according to JW teaching.

Anything worldly includes 'desire of the eyes, desire of the heart, showy display of one's means of life' to quote a New Testament scripture that they use to define worldliness.

So... worldly means not in accord with Bible teaching as interpreted by the Watchtower Society.

It is a subtle slur.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::I often think of it as an insult! It pretty much is, anything they consider to be "worldly" is looked down upon.

• stillajwexelder
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

NOT QUITE OUR SORT DEAR

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

NOT ONE OF US

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

WOW....

THAT'S INSANE!!!

WELL, I CAN SAFELY SAY THAT MY (JW) Mother-In-Law IS COMING TO THE REALIZATION THAT I'M NOT A "WORLDLY" PERSON...SHE'S NOTICING THAT MY FAMILY AND I HAVE MANY THINGS IN COMMON WITH THEM AND....*GASP* "OH, MY GOD" WERE CATHOLIC!! YEAH...MY MOTHER RAISED US 'WORLDLY' AND WE TURNED OUT WAY BETTER THAN HER KIDS. MY HUSBAND, HER SON, REBELLED AND LEFT THE ORG AT THE AGE OF 18. SEE, SHE TRIED TO CONTROL HIM AND RAISE HIM ALL "UNWORLDLY" AND BAM, HE DECIDED HE WANTED TO BE PART OF THE WORLD...HAHAHA...IT'S JUST FUNNY...AND TO TOP IT OFF, HE MARRIES A "WORLDLY, CATHOLIC, WOMAN"...SHE'S JUST NOT A HAPPY JW. BUT, I'M GLAD SHE'S SEEING HOW DUMB THAT WHOLE TERM IS B/C I'M NOT A BAD PERSON.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit