Can an extremely "overweight" JW's man become a JW elder?

by booker-t 26 Replies latest jw friends

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

why isn't being grossly overweight wrong if ice climbing is a sin(see march 1, 2006 WT, page 19, picture)? if ice climbing is disregarding the sanctity of life, isn't being extremely overweight the same?

• James Free
    James Free

Most of the elders I know are FAT HEADS, does that count?

• blondie
    blondie

As a person who has been normal weight and is now overweight, I hope this doesn't descend into a bashing of people who are overweight. I have known very few elders who were grossly overweight. Few are chosen to give talks on the assemblies and conventions. I do know of (and know) elders who were counseled on their weight and had responsibilities taken away from them. Not every overweight person is a glutton and not every glutton is overweight.

Believe me, if elders had all the truly Christian qualities of love, empathy, concern, mercy, etc., and were overweight, I would be happy. But then if an elder is trim, muscular, and exercises all the time, but is cruel, unmerciful, a liar, etc., I would think that is what would disqualify him as a shepherd.

Blondie

• James Free
    James Free
    Believe me, if elders had all the truly Christian qualities of love, empathy, concern, mercy, etc., and were overweight, I would be happy. But then if an elder is trim, muscular, and exercises all the time, but is cruel, unmerciful, a liar, etc., I would think that is what would disqualify him as a shepherd.

So true...but this is an Org. that encourages its members to judge one another. Their spirituality is not guaged on how well they apply christian values and qualities but how they look, are they seen at every meeting, dressed well. Are they seen on the ministry. Do they answer up a lot and so on. Are their clothes sufficiently out-dated. Is their haircut 'modest' whatever that means. It's no surprise that some may go further and look at their body weight to guage a persons spirituality.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

I wish ours were overweight and near death---jk

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think it's just another manifestation of the society's preoccupation with "appearances".

W

• Frog
    Frog

hey there Booker,

I think you're probably right about the brother being discouraged for his weight issues on taking on more responsibility. Gluttony is something a person can be counselled on in the truth, which is horrible experience for such a kind hearted person imo. What they need is confidence boosting, not to be told that JH views them as lowly for their personal struggles. I feel for this man, he sounds like a good fellow.

All the best with your health program, don't give yourelf too much of a hard time matey, just take care of yourelf cos you deserve it :)

luv frog x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit