Disputing the Validity and Legality of the DF/DA Announcement

by valkyrie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Thank you all for your thoughtful contributions to the issues; they were meant to be thought-provoking, not sugggestions for challenging a DF or a DA.

Looking_Glass:

My confusion with respect to this thread is that it appears that people want to use the courts to pursue claims or actions against JWs for being df'd or da'd. That is impractical and would clog up the judicial system more then it already is clogged up. As for libel and slander, people have a tendency to throw those words around to freely. It is much harder to prove.

1. The issue that I raised in my initial comment had no reference to, and made no suggestion of, pursuing actions against JWs or the WTS for being DF'd or DA'd. I referenced only the wording of the excommunication announcement, and its suggestion of near-godlessness as a possible slur against the subject. If the DF'd or DA'd person continued to consider him-/her- self a worshipper of Jehovah, having respect for the Bible and its teachings, such a public announcement refuting one's dedication to Jehovah might be psychically traumatic and depression-inducing.

I think the average person have an unrealistic view of the judicial system and how it works in the US.

2. My geographical point-of-reference is not so restricted. I am not in the U.S.; the laws of that land are, therefore, not my focus. To some degree, restrictions against random, slanderous statements are common to the legal systems of many countries. If there is no strict legal restriction against such within certain legal systems, there certainly exists a cultural repudiation of such conduct.

-V.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

At my JC I spent 15 minutes arguing that it would be slander to say i am no longer one of Jehovah's witnesses since I still believe in Jehovah and am a witness to him. I no longer want to be associated with the Watchtower Society and so any announcement should be framed as such. However they d/f me anyway with the standard new phrase.

I discussed it with my lawyer and he felt it would not be possible to win a case on the basis of slander because the statement that i am "no longer one of Jehovah' Witnesses" is true at least in one definition of the term. To attempt to prove that statement is untrue and therefore slander would get into a technical argument that would probably go nowhere.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Reminds me of the part in COC where they talk about people disfellowshipped for oral sex, and then the 'law' was changed, but they were not reinstated or apologised to..

There is no justice,and the search for it, I feel will leave you empty.

I was baptised at 13, and they honestly expect to hold me accountable to that. Legally you cant get married, work, have a mortgage or own property but you can make a decision that affects the rest of your life.

Every day I shake my head at what I used to believe.

Poppy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit