Could a Baptism be Null and Void based on Circumstances?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

What if you get baptized as a minor? Does it really legally hold up? Or how about it if your baptism has basically felt like a fraud to you because you did it for the wrong reasons? If a person feels pressured to get baptized because all the kids her age are doing it and she's basically the last one and oldest kid who's not baptized, then does the baptism mean anything? How about if someone is doing things that would technically get them disfellowshipped up to a month before they got baptized and started back up a month or two after...

I want to just walk out the door of a kingdom hall and never come back without having to fake people out but I also don't want to lose certain relatives of mine. I can chalk it all up to one asanine thing: I feel very stuck because of this stupid baptism...

My mother says you can't get tricked into getting baptized because of all the questions you go through. But that doesn't even require thinking ability; anybody can recite the crap that's dictated to them weekly for their entire life.

I'm sure I'm grasping at straws here....

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    My mother says you can't get tricked into getting baptized because of all the questions you go through.

None of us received full disclosure of the "rules" from the Watchtower Society before we were baptised. How many of us studied the elders manual before baptism? How many of us were aware of its contents prior to baptism?

If we had known of the rules contained in the elders manual, how many of us would have refused baptism? I would have!

W

• unique1
    unique1

Well I tried to get mine annuled and got disfellowshipped instead. I plan on asking what the charges were.

• juni
    juni

I really don't know the answer to your question. According to WT rules probably not. And the gov.t doesn't get involved w/religion unless there is a custody dispute going on.

The courts feel that I guess the religions will be reasonable about family matters.

And like someone said, who of us knew all of the ramifications w/this org.?? You do what's best for you. Just fade if you want and don't take their calls. Make up excuses. Or bite the bullet and DA yourself. They won't bother you then; speak from experience.

Juni

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Yeah I just saw that, unique1, after I posted this. Happy Birthday, Girl! I'm sorry you had to get this bad news on YOUR special day. I know it's probably for the best in the long run but it doesn't mean hardships don't come with it.

I just think this whole thing is a crock of sh*t. If it's not a cult then WHY can't you just choose to walk away in peace? I don't want to cause anyone trouble! I just don't want to go anymore. To the very end it's BLACK and WHITE. You are either in or you are out. There is no happy medium.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Hey Good Girl Bad Girl,

I asked this same question in Part 1 of my appeal, if you haven't listened to it you may want to because it answers you question.

Part 1 of Appeal hearing (3.2MB) < - This is where I ask about undoing a baptism

• blondie
    blondie

If you were baptized by

a sister or

a DF'd person

your baptism would be void....but I have only heard of that in the "olden" times.

Otherwise with the 80 to 200 plus questions the elders discuss with the person, the approval of the BOE for the person to get baptized, and the 2 questions at the baptism, they figure you know what you are doing.

Trying a legal approach will not likely work since in the US, religions pretty much have the right legally to set standards and requirements for baptism, without interference by the "state."

Since many religions baptize babies, saying you were too young is not likely to carry much weight in court.

Since JWs shun the inactive and the never been baptized as a JW, there is no guarantee that family and friends will associate with you if your baptism were voided. You would still be "bad association" and under Satan's control even if indirectly.

Blondie

• juni
    juni

Last thing I remember, I was
    Running for the door
    I had to find the passage back
    To the place I was before
    'Relax,' said the night man,
    'We are programmed to receive.
    You can check-out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!'

from - HOTEL CALIFORNIA by the Eagles

These lyrics say it all. No wonder they didn't want us to listen to this song!!

Juni

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

It will costs you lots to cash out... Relatives, Friends ... they will repay you by shunning you. If you can handle that go ahead and check out of Hotel California. What will it costs you to stay in? A crisis of conscience in the form of meeting attendance, associating wth dubs, field service, etc. Just keep these at a minimal. Or do the fade... the perfect fade is to get your publisher card ... if not, your fade will probably never be complete. For now, i need to stay in for relatives and friends. But I keep everything at a minimal. Even though if you could have your baptism null and void (which will never happen) you will still be shunned by family and friends. sucks big time. oh well, keep your chin up, worst things have happened to others ... i think wac xElder xBethelite That is the price we have paid for taking the red pill.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

douple post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit