Feel like a failure

by love2Bworldly 21 Replies latest jw friends

• flag
    flag

You are not a failure!!

Like you said .... your kids are turning out ok.

So keep it that way! keep setting good examples for them.

When they see that you don't stay in a bad relationship just for material security or emotional need, their respect for you will grow.

If your daughter was in the same situation as you are right now.. would you advice her to stay or to leave?

I'm sure you would tell her to leave. Why should you be different?

You always have to love yourself a lot and think... Is this what I deserve? if you think you don't deserve that kind of man then get up and leave with no hesitation.

Like the Gloria Gaynor songs sais "you will survive"

(disclaimer.. if anything of this sounds rude that is not my intention, you know that english is not my first language. My hearth goes to you)

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thanks for all your responses, it does give me some encouragement.

(I had a very dysfunctional childhood, parents were not JWs, but parents were deaf, depressed, mother was mentally ill. My brother always says I'm the more normal one in the family-ha ha. Along with my siblings, I sort of helped take care of my parents and they were extremely negative people and always feeling sorry for themselves.)

So I think I'll go back to counseling and read some more books, I just feel really frustrated, like how many times am I going to beat my head against a wall? I'm actually pretty intelligent even though I don't have a degree--I am taking classes here and there. Part of my frustration lies with knowing I've come so very far but also knowing I have a LOOOOOOONG way to go.

Thanks again for your encouragement, I guess I just needed a pity party this morning.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well party away sista, because that is what we are here for. I use to be around the deaf community a lot and I know that it is hard on the hearing children. It is a different world.

Again, try to look at the glass half full instead of the other way and pursue therapy again. We don't know the mind as well as we would like, but we do have skills to work with what we got.

Peace to you and yours.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I just left my second husband. It is so hard to break the pattern of dysfunction. But it can be done. If I had listened to my gut feeling before marrying this one I would have been a lot smarter.

The reality is that it takes 2 people to make a successful marriage. They both have to be working towards the same goals. If there is any type of addiction it is just like having a third person in the relationship and that third person takes priority. And while it takes 2 to make it work it only takes 1 to make it fail.

A while back I wrote something you might find helpful If you haven't already read it. Til death do us part - divorce (It's here on JWD if you want to read the responses). At first glance you may think it doesn't apply but if you consider the addiction as a person you may see the similarities

Wedding vows

Til death do us part

(NOTE: Although I speak about women here this can easily be reversed)

I worked with battered women who are leaving their husbands and ending their marriages. I have spoken with hundreds of women over the last few years who have chosen to end their marriages for good reasons. Inevitably they feel they have broken the vows they took when they married. And they feel guilty as a result of breaking those vows.

Few women enter marriage with the idea of it being a temporary arrangement. Most times the hope is that the bond will last and together the couple will start a family and eventually grow old together.

The vows that are taken are serious and most of the women I have spoken with took great effort to make sure the words they spoke rang true for them and formed a promise worthy of being kept. Many had written their own vows, writing words that came from the heart.

But eventually life with the chosen partner became too difficult to endure and a different path was chosen. It hurt. It often felt like failure. Many women continued in the marriage long after there was any hope of improving the quality of life in the relationship.

For women who marry and firmly believe in the sanctity of marriage there seems to be a sense of failure on the spiritual level as well as the personal one. This in part comes form the belief that the marriage vows are made in the "face of God" and therefore carry a further weight. They are then accountable to God for the failure of the marriage.

One issue that I hear repeatedly is that the vows specifically address the issue of fidelity. And the women who choose to divorce when there has been no act of infidelity believe that they had no right to end the marriage at least not in the eyes of God.

What most of these women seem to have not realized is that the marriage vow is more than just a vow of fidelity. It is a vow to love one another, to treat one another with honor and to care for one another. These three things are contained in most standard vows. And most often they come before the mention of fidelity.

One standard vow is as follows:

(Grooms Name) will you take (Brides Name) to be your lawful wife, will you love her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health and forsaking all others keep only unto her so long as you both shall live.

(Brides Name) will you take (Grooms Name) to be your lawful husband, will you love him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health and forsaking all others keep only unto him so long as you both shall live

Love, honor and caring for each other come before fidelity. Perhaps they come first because if one loves and honors and truly cares for each other then the desire to be with someone else is not a consideration.

Many of the women I have spoken with about this issue were abused in the marriage by their partner. Many have spoken with other people about the possibility of divorce and many were told that it was their duty to remain faithful to their vows.

But no one seems to realize that the abusive husband has already broken the vows. Through the abuse he has shown he has no love for his wife. He does not honor her when he hits her. Her does not cherish her when he screams and yells in her face. Or calls her names. He does not care for her when he controls her or uses her as a servant. He does not need to commit adultery to break the marriage vows. Abusers break the vows through their actions of hurt and pain they inflict on the one they made the vow to.

And if he has broken his vow then the marriage is in effect over. It is over in her heart. And it is over in the eyes of God. The vow was about loving one another.

I think in their hearts, deep down women know this. But they dont have the words for it.

The marriage vow is about loving one another. And caring for one another. It is about honoring and cherishing each other. And being there for each other. And yes it is about fidelity.

But without the love there is no marriage. No woman needs to feel guilty for leaving an abuser. Without the love the vows are broken.

• rebel8
  • greendawn
    greendawn

It's understandable that you will feel like this in a divorce situation and especially a third one but things will look up as your children are your future. You are certainly not a failure.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

((((((((((love2Bworldly)))))))))) I don't have any advice for you, but I am so sorry & I hope everything will get better for you very soon.

• Fleur
    Fleur

I'm in a time crunch at the moment so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that others have said...

You need to focus on being you, getting to know yourself, and finding out that being sick with someone is no alternative to being healthy alone.

I've been through divorce, starting over, all of that. It sounds like you're attracting men who don't respect you and treat you as you deserve because you are so desperate not to be alone. Men can 'smell' that like a dog can smell fear. They play off of it, and they often tell you, as my ex did, "Do you think anyone else is going to treat you better than I do?" To anyone who says that to you, the automatic answer is yes because they already know they're treating you badly. You just have to realize that you DO deserve better. You have likely never been treated in your life as you deserve to be.

I wasn't sure at the time, but I knew that I didn't want to be with him. I did find someone who treats me like gold but you have to give yourself what you need first. Be kind to yourself, give yourself time, and don't rush into anything after this relationship.

Learn to enjoy and value your own company. Focus on your kids. Get healthy, and you'll find out that you don't need a man to be complete. You just need you. Keep talking and find other women in similiar situations to talk with...you can be a great resource to eachother.

hugs

essie

• Es
    Es

You are not a failure at all in fact i think the opposite i think you may be too nice. And perhaps you are too nice you attract people with problems. I mean that in the nicest poss way if you get me????You need to do what is right by you and the kids.

es

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

((((Hugs)))) You are not a failure! God loves you and we do too! - V-Sky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit