Ex JW hacktivism

by StarTrekAngel 27 Replies latest members campaign

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I already run a pirate box at conventions. I use various SSID's such as :Free Wifi, www.jwfacts.com, Who Is Candice Conti?, TTATT, Apostates among us.

It has a chat room, image board and Files. I keep BOE's, The Elders book, the releases for that convention, apostate books and Science books. Some times I put Movies and Music for bored kids to stream on their devices.

I NEVER make it look like it is an "Official" thing. I have had people try to buy weed in the chat room, hook up/ get ph#, but mostly kids asking "waz dis?"

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Wow! I'd never heard of such wizardry before but the tplink piratebox in that video looks AMAZING, and simple even for a non tech doofus like me! You would be fairly likely to tempt a few bored youngsters at a convention to hook into it and chat or even download documents. I'm very interested in this...

The beauty of it is you're not forcing anyone to do anything, it'll just be boredom and natural curiosity that sucks them in.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Let it just be clear that I am not acting on this, specially if the community feels it would be counter productive.

I don't see how committing a crime and forcing to a website against their will is productive.

I don't see how the Pirate Box at a meeting or assembly would be counter productive.

It's a crime and against their will. How, exactly, are you envisioning it being productive?

**UPDATED TO SAY...** To be clear, a pirate box by itself is not illegal, of course, unless you are redirecting DNS or hijacking someone else's network.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    It's a crime and against their will. How, exactly, are you envisioning it being productive?

A Pirate Box is Pirate in name only. It's not a crime to set up your own wifi network and serve up a website to share files and information.

Also, it's passive, not against their will. They would have to physically connect to the wifi network on their own.

Now, hacking DNS on an ISP level would be completely and utterly illegal.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    A Pirate Box is Pirate in name only. It's not a crime to set up your own wifi network and serve up a website to share files and information.

Of course. That's why I said that :D

I think it's a brilliant idea, if there was a free WiFi entitled "WT articles" or "jw quotes " or something similar, kids natural curiosity would make them look. It's not illegal, you're just banking on curiosity.

And we all know what a wealth of quotes you could stick up there...

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

When you setup a box like the one mentioned here, you don't have to use anything official. You are creating your own localized internet, which is not illegal in any way. I am in the business. I work for a telecom company and have done so for very long. Hijacking a domain is a whole different thing and like I said, I would like to think the WTS has good security to make that difficult. I would not think they do not expect to get hacked.

That was my point on "Forcing someone to see a site". You are not cheating them into typing the official page and then showing something else. (at least that is not what I implied) It is obvious by now that I am not presenting anything new.

Banking on curiosity... that summarizes it well. My apologies, english is my second language and sometimes I do not put things together well.

Dude, you speak better English than I do and I'm English!

I know next to nothing about all of this but I think it's an excellent idea for conventions, curiosity would almost certainly have a few individuals looking into it during their walks around the concourse during the sessions when they're bored out of their minds! And if it's nothing immediately 'apostate', just WT quotes or something similar, (maybe pertinent news items? ), then they'd probably allow themselves to venture in...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit