Read some responses of those that attended a jw funeral talk........

by troubled mind 43 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I have the outline as well. (I'll send it to whoever wants it or can post it.) If one goes by it, it is so unrelated to anything having to do with love for the deceased and consideration for the family. Personally I modify it and do allow family members to come up and say whatever they want. i have attended non-JW funerals and try to model more on what these other religions do. Why a funeral should be turned into a sales meeting is beyond me.

• troubled mind
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind

The responses at the begining of this thread are the sentiments of school friends of an ex-jw. All her school friends knew that she had no longer held the same religious belief's as her mother. Yet the Brother chosen to give the discourse followed the prescribed outline as if these were the things she had still believed. Which pissed off many in attendance.
    So not only was her life ignored, but her true beliefs were not shown respect.

• wombat
    wombat

Troubled Mind.. Who could disagree with you? How did you come up with that name?

• wombat
    wombat

Gotcha Troubled Mind...Sorry for my smart arsed comment...

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)

Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth

By whom the deceased is survived

Dedication record, including privileges of service

Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Wombat , around here it's Smart Ass

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I'm amazed at most of the responses. I actually thought the opposite. I remember years ago that the only thing mentioned about the deceased was the day of birth and the date of death and the survivors. After that, it was just about the hope of the resurrection.

More recently I have heard more eulogy--in fact one of the witnesses even criticized that some of the funerals had too much eulogizing. My mother died in 2002. Previously I handed the speaker a 4-page biography about her life hoping that he would use it during the funeral discourse. He did spend quite a bit about her life even adding tidbits about his own observations. I was very pleased. I'll admit that toward the last he did spend some time on the hope that she had, though I think it was appropriate.

• Mary
    Mary

If you really want to hurl your cookies, check this "loving" article out:

w77 6/1 pp. 346-347 Mourning and Funerals—For Whom? ***

WHY

A FUNERAL OR MEMORIAL SERVICE?

Some have thought that a funeral is for the purpose of eulogizing the deceased, for the purpose of speaking well of such a one and giving him what is known as a "good death." But is this correct? Remember that Jehovah God permitted the nation of Israel to weep over Nadab and Abihu, the two sons of Aaron who perished because they offered illegitimate fire—although their immediate family was forbidden to mourn them.—Lev. 10:1-7.

.....As a rule death causes mourning. In particular, it is comforting to hear a discussion on Jehovah’s marvelous attributes, especially his great love in providing his Son as a ransom so that mankind can have the hope of everlasting life. Aside from personal expressions that they may feel impelled to make, those in attendance bring comfort to the bereaved by their very presence.

There is also the matter of giving a witness to Bible truths. Usually a funeral is attended by neighbors, acquaintances, business associates and relatives, who may not be believers. All these stand to benefit from a funeral or memorial service at which a discourse is given presenting the Bible view as to the condition of the dead, why men die and the hope of a resurrection. Because of such fine purposes being served, it seems that a Christian minister could see his way clear to conduct the funeral of a Witness’ unbelieving relative—or even of one who, in a condition of extreme despondency or mental derangement, had taken his own life. And fellow Christians could extend comfort to the bereaved Witness by attending. (so the only reason for an elder to give a funeral talk is to try and recruit members).

And further, when a service is held for a deceased faithful servant of Jehovah God, the occasion could well be used to note that one’s integrity-keeping course in spite of all manner of obstacles. (2 Sam. 1:26) True, as Mark Anthony said in his famed funeral oration: "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him." (so they're comparing a pagan like Caesar with a faithful Dub?)

• KW13
    KW13

i dunno how a brother could give the funeral talk knowing it was more about the WBT Society than the person. damn when i die i just wanna be remembered. JW's who die are just used as a way to advertise the org.

i remember going to a JW funeral and basically the person was an 'after thought'. the speaker was a local elder and he just went on about the resurrection hope e.t.c but there were people there who weren't JW's and just wanted to pay their respects and remember the person in their way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit