Allow me to introduce myself

by TwoBlackBelts 14 Replies latest jw friends

• TwoBlackBelts
    TwoBlackBelts

I am not a JW. I have never been a JW. I tripped over this forum whilst participating in a little harmless internet forum raiding.

I am a 48 year old man with a wealth of life experience who married a much younger woman who had been raised in a formerly devout but now mostly non-meeting attending JW family.

I have a couple of tertiary degrees in engineering and some undergraduate credits in psychology. I did a little research on this cult (and it is a cult, all religions are. Cult + time = religion) because my wife was estranged from her family as a result of deciding to make her own way in the world. I know that it is important to resolve these kinds of things if one is to grow and mature so I encouraged her to try to get connected with the family. Unfortunately, she did so too well and has become a zealot of a different sort by becoming a self-absorbed career yuppie. The imprinting, dogma and general brain washing is pervasive and taints the former JW's thought patterns even if they don't go back to the "Truth".

We are now separated and I would like to say to those of you having doubts, get the hell out now. And don't come back. I know it's hard to leave that support base because the insular nature of JW life has not equipped you for life in a complex world vastly different to the simplistic and regulated church, but you will never know joy by trying to ignore your own questioning nature.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Good post and welcome to the board.

• gumby
    gumby

Welcome 2 blackbelts....you roundhouse throwing judo choppin son-of- a -gun.

I know it's hard to leave that support base because the insular nature of JW life has not equipped you for life in a complex world vastly different to the simplistic and regulated church, but you will never know joy by trying to ignore your own questioning nature.

Well put for your introductory post!

Nice to have you.

Gumby

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Two BlackBelts, and welcome to the board

I very much enjoyed your first post, and look forward to reading more

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Welcome. Sometimes, it's hard to erase all the principles by which we were raised. So unfortunately, some of that crap just sticks with us.

Great post, and glad to have you.

• potleg
    potleg

Welcome

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome, welcome, Twoblackbelts. Good points.

Thegoodgirl said: Sometimes, it's hard to erase all the principles by which we were raised

Very true...heck, its even hard to erase them when you weren't raised in. I joined up as an adult (so you'd think it wouldn't be as ingrained) and I am still unearthing JW thought patterns that I thought I'd taken care of.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Welcome to the board, TwoBlackBelts. It sounds like you're going to be a good addition here.

Cellist

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Your blamming the JWs for your ex becoming a carrer woman and a self-absorbed Yuppie.

Wow, that is a leap...

Perhaps she just decided to do the opposite she has been taught, the old knee jerk reaction to things.

OC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit