Hello everyone, I'm new.

by tan 29 Replies latest jw friends

• tan
    tan

Hi. This is my first post. I've been reading for a while and can relate to a lot of the other post. Been associated with the witnesses for over 30 years now, been disfellowshipped twice but now reinstated. Started noticing a lot of different things and now I'm actually acting on my instincts by researching things. Was a victim of molestation by a step-father ms and nothing was done...never understood that. (I didn't scream - a child of 7 or 8 years of age) therefore, no proof.

You all have been so helpful...was angry and very disappointed at first from the information that I research, but now laugh at how stupid people can be. And am glad that I did research for myself...

Went to the memorial last night and the elder that said the prayer before passing the bread read the prayer from index cards!!! Can you believe that.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board Tan!

• KW13
    KW13

hey welcome!

firstly if your seeing it for what it is GOOD but make sure you research everything properly, if your asked you need the answer

Take care and we look forward to your posts

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Tan,

Welcome! You'll find true, unconditional friends here. I'm sorry about what you went through with your step, I wish you healing of past wounds and future happiness. - V Sky.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

the elder that said the prayer before passing the bread read the prayer from index cards!!! WHAT????? That's a definite no no according to the rules I grew up with........lol........but, not surprised......everything else is controlled, why not your very conversation with God....... Ter

• Brigid
    Brigid

Hello Tan,

It's good to "meet" you. You're very welcome here. Hope you find what you need and share more of your story.

Love and Light,

~Brigid

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Welcome to the board tan

Knowledge, research and independant thought are what the org fears most. Probably when that bro recited the prayer off index cards!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Tan,

We are so happy to have you here!! What a tragic thing for you to have gone thru!!!. Is your Stepfather still a JW? Is he still serving? What made you begin to question things? Please know you have friends here! WELCOME!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Welcome, (((tan))).

As you know, if you've been reading here, this place has all types in all stages of growth away from the man-made organization that has dominated our lives in some way. Even the ones who have never been JWs who post here are heavily influenced by it, if in no other way than through intense concern for a loved one.

What you went through as a child is horrible and tragic, but not unique to JWs. The sad reality is our culture doesn't mind admitting that such despicable things happen but stops short of wanting to acknowledge specific instances. It isn't JWs that is a pedophile paradise, it is our culture that recoils from the reality and seeks to find another explanation—any other explanation—for the facts that makes it easy for these monsters to do what they do.

My wife and I were both abused. Our parents didn't know. I was barked at by my mother for taking too long in a public shower stall (at a swimming pool). My wife survived much worse from her cousin, over a much longer period of time. In both cases, the people responsible were not JWs. In both cases, the people responsible were not reported.

This is a cultural epidemic, not a religious one—although religions that do not encourage, or worse discourage, reporting to authorities (and there are many such) are a large part of why the problem has become so prevalent. Especially since the victim is not eager to talk about their "weakest" moments, such discouragement from perceived authority figures is certain to stifle most victims.

I'm glad to know you are researching. It seems those who leave after making a thorough search of the religion rarely ever go back. Some here have compared it to learning that Santa Claus is really just your dad or uncle in a Santa suit. Do you ever go back to believing it is really Santa?

Enjoy your stay!

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome Tan!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit