JW's having kids

by Tigerman 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

This is a simply question that came to me as I sit here reading all the various topics and their responses and I my mind often takes me back to a question that came to me some time ago. Simply put; why have jw's continued to have children . . . .since THE BEGINNING - 1912,1918,1925 and so on if the END was coming in their lifetime . . . .and they still, today, keep having babies. WHY DO THEY DO THIS?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

If the R/F really believed they would do things differently.

The GB shows it doesn´t believe because they are converting condos rather than laying in body bags and heavy equipment for corpse disposal. Obviously they are not concerned about the possibility that 10 MIllion rotting corpses will soon be stinking up BKlyn.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

They are unclear on what causes pregnancy.

• osmosis
    osmosis

Yeah excellent point. If the end is so close at hand, why hasn't the GB invested in body disposal, why doesn't it have a big bomb shelter? Does it have a procedure manual for when the big "A" finally comes "tomorrow? .. uh or the next day?.. er, uh, maybe the day after that? no? crap!" Obviously the GB doesn't believe that the end is necessarily near.

If the R&F really believed, then why have children, unless as just an unfortunate side effect of getting laid without a condom.. Shouldn't they max out their credit cards? After all, they won't have to pay it back, really they won't!

My theory is thus: I believe the GB has finally learned from it's mistakes of the past, and just dropped the whole wild speculation business. The dubs I know no longer believe in specific predicted dates, just "could be any day now, you never know when". They also exhibit a certain amount of denial over the fervor of the past predictions, as though the whacktower never insisted on 1975 or 1914, as though thousands of JWs didn't sell their homes in anticipation of the new system.

If you press the matter they will say "they're just men, we don't worship them as gods", but that's not quite true.

To me the JW phenomenon is at once extremely fascinating and highly disturbing. The deeper I penetrate into this illogic the more I come to understand one of the hugest mental fallacies conceivable. Not just a fallacy, a system of fallacies, all intricately intertwined, at once dependent on and supportive of each other.

• osmosis
    osmosis

I almost forgot this part.

Instead of making predictions in the whacktower, which can be pointed to and laughed at by apostates, they will refrain from doing that and instead will periodically circulate rumours that it's, say, a year and a half away, and this time it's for real.. that way noone on the outside can prove the WTS are liars and/or idiots.

• truckerann
    truckerann

Hey y'all....I have two words about this.....Buzzard Food!!!

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"They are unclear on what causes pregnancy."
    There's some truth to this. I knew so many dubs that said their kids were "accidents". After they had 2 or 3 of these "accidents" I began to wonder whether they really understood how pregnancy takes place. It saddened me to hear that they viewed their children as accidents. I'm sure those kids sensed it too.
    tall penguin

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

oops double post, try again... No Apologies

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    There's some truth to this. I knew so many dubs that said their kids were "accidents". After they had 2 or 3 of these "accidents" I began to wonder whether they really understood how pregnancy takes place.

A much more likely scenario is that JWs refer to the births as "accidents" because they know what the official WT stance on childbearing is, that it is very much discouraged. No loyal JW is going to say, yeah we decided we wanted kids, so we ignored the faithful slaves "counsel" on this matter! They have to say, 'oops! we had an accident, guess we can no longer pioneer."

I think most of those "accidents" were not so accidental.

No Apologies( of the stupidly-loyal-childless class)

• Priest73
    Priest73

I remember having a conversation with my Ex-Wife about not have children (good thing we didn't -Note the 'Ex' part.) It would have been too difficult to raise them during the 'Great Tribulation.' I have to laff at that now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit