Would You Die For Someone If You Knew They Wouldn't Die For You?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2
    yes i would thus i joined the army.

We're talking history with this, aren't we Digital? As to the question: Yes, I probably would. I'm a complete sap, especially if it involves people I care about.

• minimus
    minimus

So I guess many would not instinctivly try to save a person that was about to get hit by a car or a bullet by body shielding them, huh?

• blondie
    blondie

But we don't know for sure they wouldn't die for us, min.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, you're so cute. I know. I remember seeing a car crash, the vehicle flipping and me automatically running to help get the woman out, thinking the car could blow up at any time

• kid-A
    kid-A

The question is way too vague because it would entirely depend on the circumstances. Most of us would definitely give our lives or put our lives at risk for our close loved ones. Most of us would instinctively risk our lives to help a stranger in a car wreck, someone drowning, etc. Hell, most of us will swerve our cars out of the way to avoid hitting a squirrel on the road.

However, when the circumstances are more controlled, its a totally different situation.

For example, would you sacrifice your life (by donating some vital organ) to save the life of a very old person sick in the hospital? I would'nt. Would you do the same for a young child that was a complete stranger? I would'nt. Why? Because the pain such an action would inflict on others (my family, my wife, etc) would not outweigh the benefits given to the complete stranger. Altruism is a controlled phenomenon.

• minimus
    minimus

Kid, good response!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit