Sleeping at assemblies and conventions

by free2beme 45 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

My in-laws still attend meetings and defend the faith to the best of their limited ability. I saw limited, as their understanding of the faith ended somewhere around the 1980's and when you bring up new understanding, they think it might be apostate and do not listen. There not alone, trust me, several Witnesses do not grasp the changes. Anyway, they always make a point to mention all the assemblies they go too. In each example, they think it is funny that my father-in-law sleeps through the entire thing. I used to see people doing this all the time, especially if you ever got up on the stage in a part and looked out over the audience. People were bored stiff!! They just did not want to admit it to anyone. How could you not be bored, it was not like these assemblies or conventions taught anything new. They were just the same old rehash of information, that you had been listening too for your entire Witness life. Yet, my in-laws never find anything odd in the behavior of sleeping through all these conventions. They said last night, "I did not hear anything or remember anything." I replied, "why not do yourself a favor then, and stay home and sleep in." They disagreed and then back tracked that they did get something out of it. What? Dreams?

Did you sleep through the assemblies and conventions?

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I wonder how many young ones play video games at conventions, either on their cell phones or PSP's? I know I would.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The most experienced dubs can still turn up scriptures in the Bibles whist pushing out the zzzz's - reflex action I guess.

I find that it takes 3 caffeine tablets to get me through a meeting these days

BTW . Not too long ago a C/O gave a very stern warning about young ones texting each other during the meetings

• free2beme
    free2beme

It would be hard to get away with the PSP, but the cell phone would be easy. I wish I had things like that when I was a Witness. I remember spending most of my time coloring in Watchtower pictures and drawing odd things. I was so bored and it seemed like conventions were coming up every weekend. All assemblies and conventions were to be, was a time to chase people of the opposite sex.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I figured that they would crack down on text messages. Probably because most would go something like this

I M SO BRD

• anewme
    anewme

Way back in the early 70s we had our conventions in outside colliseums. Then it was very hard to stay awake.
    But I learned to take notes and usually was able to keep my eyes open.

But thinking back, our conventions were usually just close enough to home we would decide to commute the three days back and forth. We had handicap members with us who needed early morning help so we were up at the crack of dawn racing to get there.
    We also had farm animals to feed and water and pets to secure. (It became a pattern that a pet would die during assembly time for one reason or another)
    By the time I had lunches packed and people packed and we were on our way I was pooped. Im sure I nodded some during the talks.
    By the third day I was an emotional wreck and contemplating suicide as a way out!
    I remember one convention day I forgot my reading glasses and was forced to sit out the day virtually blind.

Its a shame all that effort and struggle and goody two shoes activity was not be banked and credited for the day they decided to df me. No mercy for the idiot.

• gumby
    gumby

By the time I ate a hoagie, a burrito, 2 cheese danishes, and drank a shasta coke, I usually always had the shits so bad after lunch a guy couldn't sleep if he wanted to. The poop line to the bathroom after lunch was so long most brothers missed the first hour of the program anyways. Damn ransid hoagies and gassy burrito's!!!

Gumbismo

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

LOL Gumbiso!!

Oh yes, the poop lines to the toilets in 100 degree weather at Yankee Stinkin' Stadium. good times, my friend, good times! LOL

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Gumby, you are aging yourself but I must say that was DARN funny! Gumby don't get this wrong I am not saying by any means you are my grandfather's age, because that is not possible, but my grandfather use to say the same thing ... "that assembly food gave me the sh*ts." and then he would make jokes the rest of the assembly to the point that we were all laughing so hard we were crying. However, my mother (his daughter) did not find it so funny.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Hey speaking of ass. or mtgs. Did you guys ever time the bros. when they were giving their prayers. We had a bro my old hall who was for a short time the PO and he was the twin of Jesse Jackson. So when he would say the prayer he sounded like Dr. Seuss, but his prayers were so long. So the guys I grew up with would time him. The longest prayer to date was his and it was 14 minutes. COME ON! Talking about falling asleep. But can you imagine how much trouble you would get in for sitting down and falling asleep during a prayer. Yikes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit