Can you be disfellowshipped for missing the Memorial ?

by google_mE 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

But Blondie, now you've heard of Arthur Thorn - though I think it was the private memorial™ between him and his wife that really got the feathers ruffled.

Arthur Thorn was an Oxford grad and became a JW soon after arriving in Australia back in the early 1920's. In the early 1940's he managed and stared on the JW radio station 5KA in Adelaide before it was closed down and he was jailed. His programs were very popular and he is remembered even today for his "ask arthur" talk back show.

• blondie
    blondie

UB, then Arthur was not DF'd for not going to the memorial but having an "unauthorized" celebration of it at home. We both know that the WTS policy on this is that if an anointed JW cannot attend that the elders can take the emblems to them (hospital or at home) and perform the "ritual." I'm sure he was DF'd because he ran ahead of the Society.

Blondie

w03 3/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

Can

anything be done if an infirm anointed Christian finds it impossible to attend the congregation’s commemoration of the Lord’s Evening Meal?

Yes. Something can and should be done out of consideration for an anointed Christian who is infirm and perhaps bedridden and therefore unable to be present when the congregation observes the Memorial of Christ’s death. In such a case, the body of elders can arrange for an elder or other mature Christian male to take portions of the emblematic bread and wine to that fellow believer on the same night before sunrise.

Depending on the circumstances, the visiting elder or other brother could make brief comments and read appropriate scriptures. He can follow the pattern established by Jesus when He instituted the Lord’s Evening Meal. For instance, Matthew 26:26 might be read and the unleavened bread presented after a prayer. Next, the visiting brother could read Matthew chapter 26, verses 27 and 28, with the wine then being presented after another prayer. Brief comments could be made on the significance of each emblem, and a closing prayer would be appropriate.

Of course, every reasonable effort should be made to be present for the congregation’s observance of the Lord’s Evening Meal. But what may be done in an extreme situation involving an anointed Christian who is gravely ill, hospitalized, or otherwise prevented from observing the Memorial after sundown on Nisan 14? Such an anointed one can avail himself of a precedent in the Mosaic Law and commemorate it privately 30 days later.—Numbers 9:9-14.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    *** w03 3/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Well that is twenty years after the event and may constitute new light

I know - I'm just playing with ya - thanks for the accurate knowledge

I was forbidden to speak to Arthur after he conducted his own little ceremony - his crime was the most fear inspiring of all - apostacy (a consequence of thinking too much). I remmember a 1985/1986 Watchtower recomending that "if you have doubts, take your mind off it by getting a hobby" (JW's must be big collectors of stamps).

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Missing meetings is officially classed as spiritual weakness - not a case for the BIG D

• geevee
    geevee

We have now had two invitations delivered to us. One by Junior Elder with what could be a big gun...at least that's how it looked innhis pocket.....the other by Sister Elder..[even more official]!!!
    Of course we will be attending in some back woods congo that no one has even heard of!! [NOT]
    It is possible that our non attendance will raise a few questions, will they have the balls to want to come around and ask? No one has to date about our concerns related to the whole child abuse/pedophile thingy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit