work

by John Doe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Does he being black have ANYTHING to seriously do with the retelling of this event?

It may have had something to do with you, since you brought it up unnecessarily, but does it matter for the story.

Just a thought for now.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Thought number two:

Even with your explanation, his being black is still not necessary to be mentioned in your story.

If you want a separate thread on affirmative action/racism etc., start that one.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I, as the author, will deem what is necessary for my story. If I choose to describe someone, I include race. Are you also going to argue that it was unnecessary to mention he was a man? This is absurd.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Yes.

Most people would frown on a man fighting a woman in any circumstance except absolute self-defense. So, when part of your story includes you wanting to fight the person, it would make you look very bad if you did did not state that you both were male.

The race would not be necessary, however.

Your choice to include it, as well as your obvious dodging of my comments about your agenda, coupled with the tenor of your response (It's my post, and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, etc.), make your attitude very clear.

As I said before, there are other websites, and on this particular website, there are other forums, that are more suited for people who think like you (in whatever varying degrees).

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

John Doe and Mad Tiger - Yikes guys.

MadTiger - I am sure that regardless of the race or gender of a person, you would agree that someone who is stealing or lying so that it effects your life would be upsetting. John Doe I am sure that you are not trying to make a blanket statement that all "black" people are dishonest.

Boyz - race is a hypersensitive subject and as the movie Crash pointed out to all of us that it does exist in all forms by ALL people of ALL races. How about we just try to get along and support eachother. If you find this thread too upsetting maybe the best thing to do is read other threads that you don't take offense to.

Have a great day and let's try to play nicer in the future.

• wombat
    wombat

Settle down Mad Tiger..As a far away outsider I couldn't read anything racist in what John Doe said. In Australia I'm referred to as the "tall skinny guy". You Yanks get so touchy.

John Doe...Mate..Psalms or Proverbs says something about how a man who has lost his temper is like a city that has lost it's walls. Once you blow your cool you have lost. Personally I cannot remember anything that I have said in the heat of an arguement that I have been proud of.

If someone yanks your chain, never react to them. If someone is doing the wrong thing you are obliged morally to act. Staying calm in all circumstances is the worst thing that you can do to your enemies. It really fucks them up.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Looking glass and wombat:

Thank you for your concern expressed through you comments. I do agree that I am going to let him sit where he is now. Reading all of our comments, any forum member can see what the point is, and decide for themselves what went on. That was my goal.

Wombat:

I am skinny, too, but they don't follow me around the department stores because of it!

• wombat
    wombat

I get your point MadTiger...I haven't walked in your shoes...But be careful, eh?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

No doubt, mate. No doubt. I respect your advice.

I want to make 10,000 posts before Armegeddon. Can't get suspended for getting on people's cases. Wouldn't be cricket, as you guys say.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

MadTiger, but I have walked around in similar shoes. I have experienced biased - I will give you an example. In my public junior high school I was the minority and two boys tried to set my hair on fire. I have personally experienced it. However, I did not let it make me angry to lash out on others. In that incident, I went home told my mother, we marched back to the school and talked to the principal and those two boys were expelled and prosecuted. We are victim if we allow ourselves to be victims. Regardless of a person's race/gender/national heritage, some have suffered bias in harsh ways, otherwise may or may not. It is our job to rise above it and better ourselves. Again, I did not read anything into John Doe's statement, but maybe based on your historical background you did, that does not mean that he meant it that way.

There is a pschyology theory out there that says - behind anger is fear. I will never allow anyone to cause me such fear that I become angry and thus and not the person I know I am.

May you all find peace today and forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit