work

by John Doe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I feel pretty depressed tonight for the first time in a while. I came damned near getting in a fight tonight at work.

There's a black guy who "works" in lumber named JR. He's loud, obnoxious, proud of being dishonet, lazy, and disrespectful to women. Anyway, he has been bragging off and on over the last few months about lying, making up reciepts, not counting scholarships, etc., for the purpose of getting tuition reimbursement from work. Tonight he was bragging about doing it again and I pretty much lost it. I told him he was a lying sack of shit, but not after I asked him why he cheated, lied and stole. He said "I don't." I said that the program was being cut back due in part to people like him robbing it. He smuggly said "No one's robbing them. They've got lots of money." Then he told me I was lying when I reminded him what he said. He got loud and would not let me say a word without hollering over me. This was all in the break room.

Finally, I got up, shoved a chair at him, and told him to shut the hell up or I was going to make him shut up. At the moment I meant it. I would have hit him if my conscious didn't get me. Although he got quiet for a couple of seconds, when he saw me slow down, he began egging me on again. He enjoys pissing people off. Told me I didn't know shit, I was a know-it-all, and then asked me how I was going to prove anything. I scared myself tonight. If I had gone a couple steps farther, I don't think I would have stopped unitl he was unconsious, if I had had a tool handy, no telling what I might have done. I was completely numb and just didn't care. I had no other desire than to knock the shit out of him. I haven't had a temper flash like that in years, and I don't know where it came from. Actually, I don't remember having one to that degree before. To make it worse, I know he enjoyed it.

Now, I feel drained and depressed. It's 11:30, and I have homework to do. I'm going to turn the guy in, but I don't know what I can do to give them anything effective to use. Perhaps if I report him, though, they'll check his next claim more closely. I don't know if I can work with this guy anymore. Everyone else is always having to do his job, because he does nothing.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

I'm sorry you had such a horrible day! Hopefully tomorow will be better! Hang in there!!

Sincerely,

L.L.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I too, have had assholes like him in the work environment. I have mostly just ignored them. If you don't respond to anything they do, after awhile they will start to realize just how insignificant they are to your work life.

As far as bragging about cheating the program, why not bring up the fact with the powers that be and see if they do any checking to follow up on claims entered for that type of training? If not suggest that they do and use his own words as your reason for doing so and pointing out that cheaters hurt the program and make it bad for others who are doing whats right.

You might find he is all talk and no bark and probably isn't even in training at all, and if so is going but tries to put on airs of the superiority of the cheat and liar. Call his bluff. As far as wanting to knock some sense into his head, that would probably be impossible to do, as he doesn't seem to have any brain cells that would assimilate it.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It's very frustrating and it seems like there's one of these slugs at every job. I've seen them steal a company out of business, so it does affect you. Report him to management, but if you fight on the job, unfortunately, it'll be you out the door. Let the boss pursue this.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

John Doe: In the hopes to make you laugh. I have a funny, yet disturbing, work story to tell. I work in an large building in a big city. People take trains and buses to get to work every day. There is a woman that works in my office that lives outside the City, so she has to take the train to get in. Her round trip for the day averages 3 hours. This woman is heavy but not morbidly obese. She does have a bum leg because she was in an accident years ago and it still causes her problems. The problem with this is she classifies herself under ADA. So everything she does or does not do is "ADA" so no one will say anything to her because they are afraid that she will sue.

Ok - here is my funny story. So this woman works w/ me on projects from time to time. There was a week were we were in the boardroom for a week straight. Well I kept thinking do my feet smell, what is that smell. Because there was some mighty powerful funk going on. Fast forward a month, same thing have to work with her on a project and same thing, I am thinking, are those my pits, what is going on. Fast forward third time meeting with her on a project and I realize OMG it is not me it is her. So I start asking my friends do you that so and so is kind of smelly and they say hey, but everyone is afraid of what to do about it, so no one mentions it. Well about a month later I find out that I am going to be working on a huge project with this lady and we are going to be shoulder to shoulder for God knows how long. Well I could not take it. I went to HR and said listen, this chick smells and you guys know it, you need to say something to her. And they say well we don't feel it is out place and I say well it is if everyone refuses to work with her because they want to barf after being in contact with her for 5 minutes. And she also represents the firm and meets with clients, how do you think that makes us look. Ok, so they decide to talk to her. Now some how after their 3 minute conv. with her, she storms out of HR and comes over to me and says "DID YOU TELL THEM I SMELL!" I said yes I did because you do. She says to me I AM AN AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES I have severe allergies and I cannot use soap or chemicals because I will break out in a rash and stop breathing. She goes into this long laundry list of all her allergies including peanuts. So I point out to her that I find her story somewhat less then truthful because while working on all those projects with her, every day she had a SUPERSIZE Snikkers bar which has nuts in it. So I say in as a polite way as possible, I do believe that with living in the 21st Century you would be able to find hypoalergenic soap and laundry detergent. This is a classic her response was I CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY SOAP OR DETERGENT. So really it is just laziness on her part because she does not want to be clean. Anyways long story short, I don't have to work with her any more, thank goodness.

But the best part was I realized it was not me that smelled, because that was mess'n with my mind there. I hope it all works out for you, it is a tough spot to be in.

• Highlander
    Highlander

There's a black guy who "works" in lumber named JR.

I'm curious. What does the color of his skin have to do with this experience?

Sorry about the bad experience today. Some co-workers are unbearable to be around.

• luna2
    luna2

Sounds like a real bad day, John Doe. I'm sure your resentment towards this guy has been a long time building, yesterday was the final straw and it all blew up. There are a lot of people who think its real cool to take advantage of their employers and don't get it when other people don't pat them on the back and think they are real neato for "sticking it to the man". Very annoying to have to work with these folks.

looking_glass...I laughed. I thought the punch line was going to be that you found out she was a JW. I mean she had the sense of entitlement, the persecution complex, the allergy to scented soaps and everything. LOL

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Luna2 - no thank goodness. there is one crazy witness at my job. everyone finds her strange and for JW standards she is VERY strange. unfortunately people know I was raised a JW because I have never held back on that, so they come to me and say ... hey can you speak with so and so because she is ...... well i finally told the one chick listen if you have issues with Sista Freaky-Dek go talk to her because I am not going to but here is a scripture that should help you out and get her to leave you alone. well it worked out but now everyone thinks that i have the magic garlic to wear around the neck to make her stop the madness.

• luna2
    luna2

Uh oh, l_g. You are marked as the JW expert forever more. LOL

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thanks guys--I feel better today. Highlander. When I say black, I wasn't speaking of the color of his skin, but rather his ethnicity. I'll tell you what it has to do with--if any of the other guys did half the things this guy does, they'd be gone. Yes, it's annoying as hell. He gets preferrential treatment while he's instigating arguments with everyon--not just me, not performing his job, and robbing the company blind. The fact that he uses his race as a tool to further this is only more insulting, and you're damned straight it's a pertinent characteristic to mention, not because he is black but because he uses his race as a tool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit