Since your spouse is going to die at Armageddon, can we agree to date?

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I never heard saved thru osmosis. I do know that even today one of the things they tell JWs who are dating and/or engaged to be married to a non-JW is ... "how are you going to feel during Armageddon when you make it and your spouse dies right before your eyes" I told a GF she should say, "I don't know, but I am sure that your wife and I will comfort each other over the painful fiery death of our spouses." Unfortunately, my GF was not willing to do that. Darn!

I do know that JWs use to during service pick out the house that they wanted after Armageddon. One good ol' pioneer use to say about one house that she loved that she didn't know if the dead bodies would still be around but she loved the house so much that she would be willing to clean out the corpse so she could claim the house as her own. It was such a morbid picture. Yuck!!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    "how are you going to feel during Armageddon when you make it and your spouse dies right before your eyes"

I have never heard that outside of perhaps joking around. It just goes to prove how inconsistent the religion is with regard to how and what various congregations believe and are taught, off the record. The wts wants us to believe ALL jws think alike and are in sink with each other all around the world, even though they aren’t even on the same page in the same country. The practice of shunning isn’t even consistent everywhere. Some shun beyond the point of absolute stupidity and others practice no shunning at all.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

It's kind of a thread drift, but a similar thought: My now ex-wife's elder brother in law, an elder from Florida made a comment some years back, that one of his fantasys was to be present when Crazy Horse, and Sitting Bull were resurected after Armageddon. He commented that they'd probably leap from their graves, dressed in full Indian regalia, brandishing tomahawks, ready to do battle with the white man, and would be totally surprised to find themselves in such a peaceful, New World. Come to think of it, he made the comment while we were attending an Assembly in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1975...I wonder now, 31 years later, how he feels about the idea.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I haven’t been to a meeting in several years now so things must have changed since I attended. Is this some more "new light"? The congregations I attended all believed that by being a baptized follower, that in its self was enough to save ones spouse. The spouse didn't need to believe as long as the other did.
    This was the belief when I went to the hall too. 1st Cor 7:14-16 was the scripture given to support this belief. I do know that JWs use to during service pick out the house that they wanted after Armageddon. One good ol' pioneer use to say about one house that she loved that she didn't know if the dead bodies would still be around but she loved the house so much that she would be willing to clean out the corpse so she could claim the house as her own. I auxillary pioneered for a couple of summers. One of the pioneers said something like the above quote. It struck me as incredibly cruel. I also thought it was cruel when she would get angry at householders for dismissing her and she would stamp the dust off her feet when she left the property. She was basically turning the householder and family over to destruction by Jehovah. I must admit, it stumbled me. It changed my opinion about "Jehovah's people". It started my questioning and eventually, after a couple of other experiences, caused me to leave the org.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I wouldn't worry about an attractive mate attending the KH alone. If you have a very good relationship and your love is deep, you can put faith in that. You can't put your foot down and expect that to work. Any couple needs to be alert to the danger of another person trying to interfere. Whether it be a workmate or neighbor, anyone can try to tempt your mate or YOU into straying. It's up to both of you to nurture your marriage or partnership and to protect it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit