JWs as spouses for "worldly" people

by greendawn 10 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you think a JW man or woman would make a better spouse for someone compared to a "wordly" person? Not that many JWs would want to marry non JWs but it would be interesting to discuss such an issue to see what comes up.

Some may argue that a JW spouse is more likely to be loyal and gentle but there are also many pitfalls with JWs.

• carla
    carla

many pitfalls with JWs- That's the understatement of the year! I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

• moanzy
    moanzy

My husband chose me partly because I used to be a witness. He felt I would be least likely to cheat on him.

I think if you asked him now about his reasoning back then he would probably smack his forhead. I did get reinstated and he eventually go through to me by his

good humour and logic. It is all good now, but our marriage was FULL of problems for at least 5 years and then got less and less.

As a JW wife I think I was loyal, but seriously screwed up. I don't know if it would have been any different the other way around. Thank God I will never have to know.

Moanzy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nope and I am so glad I married a "worldly" man!

Josie

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

In 1950 maybe. And loyal to who? Is this loyalty based on love for the individual or because the WT says its the right and proper thing to do? Let not even get into the manipulation of winning the "worldling" over without a word. Loyal and gentle are adjectives that could be applied to alot of animals. Personally, I'd take someone with a thought, their own opinion, and a feisty sense of humor anyday. Axel

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

Hey I married a 'worldy' guy...He was more normal then any witness guys I dated. And a better person just in general then any witness boy. He brought a balance to my life and made me see 'worldy' people are normal and not to be feared.

• general
    general

I believe that in order for a good marriage to be sustained over time (after the infactuation stage) is for both people to find something they are both passionate about and can share in together. For example, if both people are passionate about traveling and seeing new places than thats what they should do to keep their marriage lively. I think a JW spouse for an unbeliever is a big mistake considering that the JW spouse's passion is centered around the activities in the Organization, which the unbeliever can in no uncertain terms be a part of unless he chooses to convert to a JW. Since, the WTS admonishes its members to "seek first the kingdom," which is really translated as " Give your life to the WTS and all these other things will be added to you," the majority of the JW spouse's time will be spent engaging in "theocratic" activities and this will leave them with very little time to focus on their husband or wife. We must remember that maintaining a relationship with ones spouse requires constant time and energy in order to be sucessful. If one puts their marriage second it usually falls apart. So if the JW spouse is spending all of his or her time focusing on the organization well...as General Robert E. Lee said when General U.S. Grant was beseiging him at Petersburg Virginia, " Its just a question of time before we are forced to abandon Richmond." Likewise its " just a question of time" before the marriage falls apart if it is put on the backburner (by either party) in favor of something else that is deemed more "important"

Lets face it, the key to a sucessful relationship is spending time together doing things both people enjoy doing. Major disagreements over social values and principles will inherently drive a wedge into people's relationships and eventually drive them apart. Religion for most isn't enough of a disagreement to drive people apart...but this is the JW religion were talking about here...unless both parties are fanatical in what they believe and more importantly if those beliefs are the same..I don't think a relationship between a JW and non Jw will work...(however we all know there are a few relationships out there that do work) but for the most I don't think they will.

General

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Some may argue that a JW spouse is more likely to be loyal and gentle but there are also many pitfalls with JWs.

I once had a JW spouse. The only loyalty she has is to a demonic, God-dishonoring and evil cult. 10 years of the worst nightmare I could have ever dreamed of. It only got worse when I started fading. Never, no never again.

• Poodles
    Poodles

My boyfriend is an active JW and when he was married "not now tho" his wife was not a witness but she became one later in their marriage!! I can't help but think, what a waste because after all she did for him he ended up cheating on her many times in their relationship!! So she divorced his but!

Paula

• Spectre
    Spectre

Not a chance that I would be involved with a witness in "good standing."

Now corrupting one out on the fringe.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit