What was the last straw?

by poodlehead 23 Replies latest jw friends

• poodlehead
    poodlehead

I am new to this sight and thought I would get to know some of you. So what was the last straw that made you leave? Now that I started this I should give mine. But oh so many to chose from. Okay I will narraw it down to two.

I was very sick and depressed at the time I left the truth. My health was failing and I hardly ever went out including the meeting. My Ex-husband and me were very unhappy. Or should I say I was unhappy. By the time of our devorice we had not been intamate for 10 years. Well except for on our Annaversary! WEE! (Oh by the way I even talked to the Elders and they would not come to talk with him.)

So one day I am in the suppermarket and a JW comes up to me and says. "How come I never see you at the meeting but I see you out at the store. Explain that to me." (So I did.) "Well sister as you know I am very ill, and since neither you or any one else cares to shepard there flock. I have to get my own groceries. May I ask you to Explain to me why you have never done anything to encourge ME?" As you expected she didn't have much to say and I walked off.

A few months later we were moving from Northern CA to Florida and news had gone out that we HAD moved. So I hear a nock on the door. Guess who! They think we are brand new territory. The look of shock when I opened the door was clasic. JW make horrible liers and she did not know how to cover for herself so she said. "OH, I thought you moved. Oh yeah.....I mean, uh......Well um.......We were in the neiborhood and thought we would stop by and say hello.(yeah that's it!) It was a sad attent to save face. I just wished them well and closed the door.

So how were you insulted and treated poorly. I said 2 examples and kind of sliped in a third. Sorry. I told you it was hard to do.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Welcome Poodlehead!!

It sure is easy to talk the talk. But when it comes to actually seeing if those who are gone truely need anything its a whole different story!! I liked your reply! I didn't have a last straw. I have had certain issues all through the years. But the 607 issue got me and my husband! Gld to have you posting!

Sincerely,

L.L.

• JH
    JH

Well, to understand my last straw, you must understand the first straw, or why I joined.

I joined because I truly believed that the end was "close". When I saw that it wasn't close anymore, I knew it didn't fit the reason why I joined anymore. They kept on pushing back the end, with their new definition of a generation came about.

Also, I didn't see the "love" that they should have had towards their fellow followers.

So, I quit going, when they started pushing back the end. I'm not eternal, and I have a life to live, and I was tired losing my life to them. I would have waited if I would have remained the same age for eternity, but that wasn't the case.

So, I left because I knew I was going to die of old age, not because the end was close.

If I was sure they had the truth, and that the end was within my life span, I would still go, although I don't agree with all that they do and expect of us.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The 607 B.C. lie almost did it for me but I still hung on for my family until..... I found out about the Watchtower Society's 9 year association with the United Nations. It was then that I realised the WTBT$ is a whore.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Welcome poodlehead -

We read Ray Franz's books after seeing that the love that the Bible stated would mark the disciples of Christ for years was not there. We never returned.

The final straw of any possible reconciliation came a few months after when my mother died [an inactive witness who believed it to be the truth since 1959] and the entire congregation [sans two persons that I personally invited to come to the FH] boycotted the funeral. Not a single card, letter, flower, or call from the whole lot.

Welcome again - look forward to your future posts.

Jeff

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Welcome aboard poodlehead,

I've been calling gumby poodlehead for months ... um that was a lie .. it's pooplehead .. see how much better liars we are than JWs

practice, practice, practice ... unclebruce

ps: the 'last straw' for me was the inappropriateness™ of the 'my bible stories™' book and my wifes watchtower induced breakdown.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I had already ceased going to meetings a couple of years before I'd finally saved up enough money from my "burger flipping" job to buy a house. I had originally stopped going because I saw the whole exercise of being a JW as nothing more than slave labor busy work distributing their litter-ature.

I think the most defining moment for me was, after I'd moved into our house and falling into financial trouble with a restaurant job going nowhere fast, kids getting ready to go to high school, and a wife whose activity was increasingly WT theocratic instead of financially helping, I decided to go back to school. My wife was incensed......"You're wasting your time.....the end is so close!!!". Though she swears now that she didn't instigate this, I had visits from elders in my every weekend for three months straight telling me that I was wasting my time, that my time would better be served in service, and that I should stick to the whorganization since the end was so close. Every weekend them pretending to be my friend and offering to help me if only it would get me back to meeting.

I was at my lowest point one day, feeling like a cheesy rat, sitting in a chair in the corner in my very own home while two elders along with my wife sitting squarely in their corner on a couch I paid for, chew me up one side and down the other for not seeing things their way....telling me that I'd never make more than the minimum wage in the field I'd chosen to study for.

In the midst of all their guilt ridden "encouragement" I think I had an epiphany.....I'd rather die and didn't care about living forever in paradise, worshipping Jah, or anything else if it meant that every single decision and choice I make would have to be filtered through the sieve of the conscious of the WT , it's minions, or that even the simplest of choices would govern whether or not I met with some God I'd never pesonally seen or met's approval. That as long as I wasn't hurting anyone or impeding anyones exercise of their own conscious, then what my own conscious and gut directs me to do....if anyone doesn't like it........F%7k'em!!!!!

My life, materially, spiritually based upon my own standards not subject to WT psychobable, my happiness and self confidence in my own decisions has made a 180 turn and continues to only get better since that day. The WT changes in their generation doctrine, blood, their "legs wide open" cootchie dance with the UN, and the JW mentality of refusing to even dospassionately discuss these issues constantly act as reinforcements to me that my decision to take back control of my life was the correct one.

• parlay
    parlay

The seeking of position and prominance.

The injustice and lack of sincerity and true love.

The hiding of prophetic failures and false teachings topped with a hypocritical unapoligetic attitude.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

95stormfront...........

My feelings exactly.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Right on 95stormfront!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit