no reward?

by itsallgoodnow 12 Replies latest jw friends

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm hearing lately, and it's not the first time I've heard this, that some elders believe the idea of paradise earth should be downplayed, or even abandoned. They have tried to discourage different ministerial servants I know from focusing on the paradise earth doctrine in passive agressive ways.

I was thinking this is probably either some elder's idea of being super righteous, ie they would "serve" for no reward, no promise of life everlasting in paradise, or maybe these elders are beginning to doubt? Another possibility could be maybe this is eventually the direction the WTS will move in or the elders speculate this is the direction it may be moving in. Or maybe they are beginning to see weakness in this organization and see an opportunity to set something up for themselves, ie a breakoff sect.

I wonder if other people have heard anything like this or is it just an idea floating around in the area where I live? Over the last 10 years, I've heard members of my family complaining about this attitude because it's not by-the-book enough, and it's making them nervous. What do you all think?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

It's because they have actually been in Paradise since 1975 - Spiritual Paradise! - which is what they meant all along. You heard it first here folks.

Writing committee - p.m. me anytime for more ideas!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi itsallgoodnow,

It seems to me that they have been focusing more on serving out of love, and that they are downplaying serving out of fear of losing a reward. The message is now "Serve Jehovah because you love him" versus "Serve Jehovah so you can get life in Paradise".

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yes, that is true. Serving out of love is stressed more. I guess I should have put all of that together. Apparently some people have already jumped on this, but I just wish they would have the balls to come out and say "we're taking away your paradise" instead of slowly moving in another direction with the elders gently pushing people to accept a new teaching they don't dare to put in writing. I'd like to see a few mad people get up out of their kingdom hall chairs and leave.

I thought they still lured newcomers in with the garden scenes in magazines and books, but I admit it's been a really long time since I actually bothered to read those books and articles. The most I read is the occasional watchtower study article, and I can only stomach part of that before I start texting or something else to zone out of there.

You know what I think? I know they think they are being really slick, but without their paradise they have nothing. Why would people stay without armageddon/paradise? What do they think they are doing? It makes me very happy if they are trying to do this, because lots of people will leave. I mean, it's not the religion they joined anymore if they change this.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings it'sallgoodnow

It's because they know what has been sounded down in the heads of so many is wrong, dead wrong. Now they have to make excused for the lies/promises they duped all the minions with.

Dismembered

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

FE203, cute kitty in your avatar!

• mustang
    mustang
    Why would people stay without armageddon/paradise?

Yes, quite the "stick & carrot" act isn't it? Add DF'ing to the Big A and you have something approaching the ultimate psychological stick.

But if this is the Brooklyn trend (perceived or actual), good!!! Either way I hope they get some resistance to the idea. The best thing that could happen to the WTS is one or two high visibility splinter groups.

Show some of these potential militant activists how to do desktop publishing and maybe they will "go their own way".

Mustang

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Very much carrot and the stick, indeed!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I find this interesting because it is the emphasis I felt in the WT literature between the 1975 fiasco and the 1980 purge, and personally I was quite sensitive to it. Insistence on love and timeless faith rather than immediate futuristic expectations. It's about the only way for an apocalyptic sect to grow into a mainstream religion; they missed it 25 years ago, but they are bound to come back to something like that if they want to survive themselves.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Funny, that would make it hard to explain the book called "You can live forever in paradise on earth!" add that one to the "millions now living will never die" book and maybe eventually they will get the idea to be more vague with their book titles in the future!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit