REASON demands belief in God

by abiather 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• abiather
    abiather

It has been the history of mankind that they proceed from the crude to the subtle in all spheres of life: they seek the subtle amidst the crude, and in the subtle, they seek the subtlest. When hunger is extinguished, humans looked for art. Ancient humans appreciated the harmony of music; they also liked to dance in joy. Their urge to seek the subtle amidst the crude was so great that, in the process, they evolved many kinds of rhythmic dance and rhythms. So was the case with music—from simple melodies they moved to the ocean of classics.

Through this continuous progress from the crude to the subtle, and from the subtle to the subtlest aspects of life, we look for eternal beauty. Those who attain such a state will no longer taste the beauty of anything: music and dance will no longer remain an object of experience for them –- because they will have attained a state so intoxicated with joy that they lose their limited identity, and their ability to experience anything.

Unfortunately, religious leaders stifled this innate desire of man to seek the Eternal through their thoughtless, childish stories and illustrations which unwittingly created distaste in thinking humans towards God. One of the religious leaders was even ready to admit this publicly: The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, “‘though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.” (Luke 8:9, 10) Such stories required many interpreters with many other illustrations to understand the original illustrations which ultimately results in warring sects numbering into thousands.

No wonder Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. …For me, the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions." (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24598856/ns/us_news-faith/t/einstein-letter-calls-bible-pretty-childish/#.VOQVJOaUcqM) "I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call my self a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That , it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations." (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/nave-html/faithpathh/einstein.html)

This shows poor presentation of God by the religious leaders lies at the root of many losing their belief in God! REASON demands belief in God, the subtlest point, the center / The Substratum. Man is unable to grasp stories or histories that do not follow the principle of Cause and Effect. REASON demands that everything requires a cause!

No wonder that we have too many great people who rejected religions but accepted the belief in God—to mention a few: Albert Einstein, Alfred M. Mayer, Antony Flew, Alexander Pope, Adam Smith, Ahmad Kasravi, Benjamin Franklin, Brett Gurewitz, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Charles Lyell, Charles Sanders Peirce, Colin Maclaurin, Dmitri Mendeleev, Ethan Allen, Edward Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Cherbury, Elihu Palmer, Émilie du Châtelet, Ernest Rutherford, Frederick the Great, Friedrich Schiller, Gottfried Leibniz, Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, George Washington, Harish-Chandra, Harmony Korine, Henrik Wergeland, Hermann Weyl, Humphry Davy James Heckman, James Hutton, James Madison, James Watt, Jean Baptiste Lamarck, Jean le Rond D’Alembert, John Muir, John Toland, John Locke, José Rizal, Jules Verne, Ludwig Boltzmann, Luis Walter Alvarez, Lysander Spooner, Mark Twain, Martin Gardner, Matthew Tindal, Max Born, Max Planck, Maximilien Robespierre, Mikhail Lomonosov, Moses Mendelssohn, Napoleon Bonaparte, Neil Armstrong, Nick Cave, Paul Davies, Robert Hooke, Simon Newcomb, Thomas Alva Edison, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Victor Hugo, Voltaire, Walter Kohn, Wernher von Braun, William Lloyd Garrison, William Hogarth, Wolfgang Pauli ……….

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Anyone who quotes Einstein to support their religious claptrap only proves they understand neither Einstein nor religious claptrap.
  • cofty
    cofty
    REASON demands that everything requires a cause!

Apparently your god is exempt.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"REASON demands that everything requires a cause!"

A cause, maybe, but not necessarily a causer.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

When hunger is extinguished, humans looked for art - we can live without art (and religion) but we can't live without meeting our nutritional requirements.

Therefore eating and drinking must be more important than either art or religion.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

abiather makes a very good point.

sadly--i havent the faintest idea what it is.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Reason demands a belief in God.

Wrong.

Reason demands you say, "I don't know," when you don't have the answers. Saying that Magic is the answer for questions that are as yet unanswered is not reason, it's arrogant delusion.

• DJS
    DJS

Abiathar,

The years after my post-Borg experience, when I was trying to figure things out both on a personal and existential level, and after reading and studying all of the major philosophies in the world, I came to one conclusion. The most powerful forces in the universe are personal accountability and personal responsibility.

Nothing is more powerful. And because of that discovery (practiced successfully BTW by some of the great leaders of our day including the head coach of the NE Patriots), leaving behind theism and any belief in god was so much easier.

I control my destiny and fate. Even if problems arise or barriers get in the way, the only thing that eventually matters is what I choose to do with the problems and how I choose to solve them - with my own energy, resources and intelligence. Rarely if ever can any of us control others or our environment, but we can control our preparation and response, rather than tepidly, flaccidly and passively waiting on some imaginary being to solve our problems. That mindset, a religious mindset, keeps the human species from evolving and advancing, and it is counter-intuitive and runs completely opposite of your drivel.

I can likely thank the Dark Lords in part for helping me to that conclusion, and I will never ever again allow anyone or any institution to control me or take away that power, including imaginary deities.

Those are the best lessons any father or leader can pass along. Religion and a belief in deities are the opiate of the masses, ensuring we will remain barely above our sub-human primate cousins, happily partaking of its mind numbing drug inducing effects, until the damaging cycle is broken.

What you preach and espouse is nothing but a trap to keep us at the lower rungs of the evolutionary ladder. As I've pointed out before, Believing or Faith is the second lowest rung of the five rungs, barely ahead of Feeling and way, way behind Thinking, Knowing and Proving (the Evidence based). You and those like you would keep us trapped at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder forever.

• abiather
    abiather

DJS,

You are free not to believe in God (as wrongly presented by religions). However a time will come you will see God acting to benefit the whole world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPwBliYJAE

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy
    abiather
    abiather a year ago

cofty, and doofdaddy,

I have always talked about Principle of Cause and Effect (which is the hall-mark of science and almost all religions in the world), but you want to discredit it reducing it as the sole property of just one organization on earth. It reminds of me of people who asked: “Can anything good come from Nazareth?" (John 1:46) Thus they diverted the attention from the good things Jesus was doing, to Nazareth.

YOU LIAR!! (via this video) Finally you are admitting you have been preaching for the BK's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahma_Kumaris_World_Spiritual_University.

Mt Abu, 5,000 year cycles. You need to be finally kicked off this site.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit