Everythings breaking

by ballistic 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nina
    Nina

Don't worry, it's that time of year. Once we get through April everything goes back to normal for a while.

Nina

P.S. You might want to post a picture of the shower you are talking about. It wouldn't hurt to post one of a "condensing boiler" as well.

• ballistic
    ballistic

OK, let's explain. Nearly all houses in the UK have piped gas for heating and possibly hot water. The gas is used to fire up a burner which utilises a heat exchange unit to heat water piped to radiators in every room in the house. A condensing boiler is able to also supply hot water on demand by sensing when a tap or shower is turned on, and instantaneously firing up, and does not require the need to store hot water. These are replacing the traditional "immersion heaters". The modern house has no stored cold or hot water what so ever. A common approach for houses with an immersion type heater was to have an instant electic shower. This means it was not necessary to keep hot water stored permanently in case someone wanted a shower.

I had cental heating, but not the modern condensor boiler required for "on-demand" use. So to compliment this had an electric shower. My boiler broke down and was actually sending poisonous fumes into the house which was rather dangerous. (carbon monoxide can kill you slowly). I've had my new boiler delivered - it will be installed in the coming weeks - and at the same time my shower has broken down. This is just ultimately BAD TIMING.

Typical boiler installed in a kitchen:

• ballistic
    ballistic

Actually, one thing that hasn't broken is my Microwave oven. I've had it 18 years. I was about to throw it out because I wanted a nice new one, lovely chrome well built thing to replace this old white one. Then a friend said to me they'd been through 3 of them in a year and prior to that they always seemed to breakdown when the warranty period was just expired.

So I thought, what the hell? I'm not ditching this microwave yet - better hang onto it.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I seem to go through the "everything is breaking" about once a year. I think it's gonna be one of those months. This afternoon my husband was backing his car into our garage and tore the drviers side mirror off....

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Well. Condensing boilers and electric showers, eh? Is that what's going on over there? (sniffs.) Looks like the Brits have got a darned good idea! Instead of keeping 50 gallons of water hot all the time, in case anybody should need any, they heat it up shortly before using it! Brilliant! No, we don't ave anything like that over here, that I know of.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

u should go back to meetings

then these things wouldnt happen to you

• ballistic
    ballistic

tijkmo, I was waiting for someone to make the "you've got demons" connection. Please, that would be an understandable explanation!

• Princess
    Princess
    Well. Condensing boilers and electric showers, eh? Is that what's going on over there? (sniffs.) Looks like the Brits have got a darned good idea! Instead of keeping 50 gallons of water hot all the time, in case anybody should need any, they heat it up shortly before using it! Brilliant! No, we don't ave anything like that over here, that I know of.

Actually, we do. It's the newest thing in water heaters. The "tankless water heater". We have a plumbing company and my husband just attended a class on installing them. He's considering installing one in our home when the current 75 gallon gas heater goes kaput. I'm not convinced yet. They are expensive. However, they are supposed to last between 15-25 years so it's not as horrible as it sounds when you hear the price. Unless you have a circulating hot water system installed, you wait for a couple of minutes for the hot water when you turn on the tap. It's wasteful and must be irritating as hell. Anyway, we have them, just call them by a different name. Sorry your heater's gone kaput on you Ballistic. Still am not sure what an electric shower is. Possibly an electric water heater only for the shower instead of the full house water heaters we have here.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    My dishwasher started making a funny noise and I got really depressed...luna2.

On hell, that's absolutely terrible! Can you imagine how depressing it must have been for Noah's wife, being that she never had an automatic dishwasher? Don't know how she ever got by without one, do you?

Schizm

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I think that I'd be afraid to take a shower in an "electric shower". Something seems strange about having electricity and water together....unless it's a coffee pot.

I guess that and electric shower works like a big coffee pot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit