How Easy Was It To Leave?

by ballistic 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Hi ballistic!
    For myself I have to say it was easy.
    Having the doubts,seeing the contradictions and lies must have built up,because it came to me all at once.No More!
    I had and still have family in. At the time my son(who lives with me was still in,pioneering).He left several months after I did,as he had his own issues as well.

I remember the day,that I could no longer live a lie. I could no longer comprimise my personal integrity and disown parts of me.
    I stopped cold,never thought of going back. If you can't be true to yourself,who can you be true too?

I even had the book study in my house and stopped attending that! lol
    When I look back in retrospect,compared to other life decisions,it still feels like one of the easier ones.
    Regards,tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• thewiz
    thewiz

Although I am aware of other beliefs I have known nothing else my entire life. to be wrong on this magnitude would be suicide

I was DF before and came back and now I'm inactive. Some would call me the king of dysfunction. I was baptized twice to boot in Natick, MA USA.

True story - I 'll get the gist of it anyway. Either TLC, Discovery, public T.V. History or Nature channels.

There are/was a group of people unknown to the world at one time. They also did not have a concept of an outside world past the rather large river. One day people ventured to their culture, outsiders. They came from the other side of the river (what we would basically call a god, visting us from the nether regions). To these people anything coming from the other side of the river was basically considered a god or something special or unusual.

However, once these outsiders left; that is, they went to the other side of the river, these people could no longer see them, although these people could be physically seen. It was because their culture or belief system would not or could not allow them to be in such a position to question their belief system.

This is a reason for leaving certain cultures in tact (if there are any left) The shock/realization would be too much for them to take.

Richard Belzer (a comic and actor I know but intelligent and with a very cutting acerbic cynical wit, one of my mentors)has a book, in it he describes why societies would crumble if the world ever came upon intelligent life else where in the universe.

Watch the movie, the gods must be crazy and II. It is comical but the point is made for the context of the movie that is "true" for some cultures. There is less and less of this kind of thing due to the "shrinking of the world"

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

For me, the difficult part was realizing that I needed to leave. That took about ten years of guilt, pain and self-deception, which culminated in an intense week with Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's Visions of Glory followed by Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control (I was looking for contrasts with the jaydubs, and of course I found none.) After that I wanted to know what keeps unbelievers honest, so I began reading whatever I could find about comparative religion. Somewhere in there, I promised myself that I would leave as soon as I could find a church where I felt free and safe. After that it was easy, though not entirely painless. There were a few weeks when I ducked and hid whenever I saw a jaydub, especially one I knew. At least I don't hide from them any more, but the prospect of trying to deprogram an active dub is emotionally exhausting. So I don't bother. I don't have any jaydub relatives, which helped.

Gently Feral

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

The majority of those leaving, from what I read here and on other boards suffer two losses when they separate from the WTS. One, the loss of friends and family members who remain Witnesses and two a belief system that has no easy replacement. For me, just drifting away over time worked well. Because I had no congregation affiliation, after awhile, and after reading Crisis of Conscience, I felt absolutely no need to formally disassociate myself because that would have made it hard on my family. I don't believe I owe the WT goons another ounce of pain, discomfort or anguish. After many years of examining other belief systems I have reached a comfortable state where I am. If somehow elders wanted to visit with me, I'd refuse to talk to them. If they came to my door I'd order them off of my property. If they in any way bothered me or my family after my previous refusals, I'd plan an appropriate punishment for them. It might involve a family pet, a nasty rumor to their neighbors, who knows? They would pay a price too great. I view them as the enemy.

Leaving for me has been NO problem at all.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi richard!
    I agree!
    I didn't play by their rules or their game and do the DA thing either. I just left,period.hugs,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

AWWWWWWE!!! (((((((stiffler and slayer)))))))

i know the pieces fit because i watched them fall away...

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

Leaving for me was a difficult thing. I have no family in the org but I had followed counsel to not associate with "worldly ones" and had grown quite distant from my family and had only 1 friend left outside the prison walls. In addition my husband had just gotten disfellowshipped and walked out on me. I had not worked in 4 years (much of it spent pioneering) and had two very young children. I could not afford to live in our home, so I got a job,and moved to a small apartment.

I knew that leaving the org was the right thing to do ,I felt it's hypocrisy and lack of real love. But starting over from scratch, boy, that was tough. Interestingly enough I know what they say in the congregation about ones like myself, that our love of truth was not strong enough, that our roots did not go deep enough and in times of trouble we could not withstand the winds.

In reality quite the opposite is true nothing but sheer strength of will and a tremendous love of truth could get someone through times such as those. The easy way out would have been to return to my so called "friends" to decide to make this change when things were more settled but at what price? I could not continue to inflict this sham on my children for one more day.

Of course the brainwashing did take it's toll during weaker moments, after the girls went to bed I would stay up alone with nothing to do but think, and it was frightening. I worried that if I had made a mistake Jehovah would destroy my children, but then that is the fear they used to get me in. I reasoned on God's love for his children as compared to my imperfect love for mine and realized that it could not be true.

It was during this time that I got my first internet connection web TV ( I could not afford a computer). With trembling fingers and a pounding heart I typed in the search words that lead me to sites such as this. I waited for God to strike me dead, read with fear and curiosity what the so called "apostates" had to say. What I read shocked me. Hey, you were all (this is before Fred) normal
    people speaking more truth than I had heard in years.

I realize this is a long post (maybe ought to have posted it in another area). But in answer to your question, no it was not easy, but having sites like this gave me the strength to continue,with what I knew was the right decision. I have not looked back and have never been happier.

I have jsut recently started to post, but I want to thank all of you for being my friends even when you didn't know I was lurking out there in cyberspace. Your courage has made the difference in my families life.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Ballistic, I love your new "man on a wheel" illustration.
    It was at once easy and difficult for me to leave. I was raised in "the truth". Baptism was a fait accompli. One week before my baptism at the Greenville, SC assembly, my jw husband slammed my head into our living room wall. After a meeting with the brothers who told me to be in subjection, I had a change of heart.
    I knew this would alienate my mother, who had already told all of her friends how wonderful it was that I was getting baptized.

So sorry.....my heart won over loyalty to my mother or the "so-called truth".

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• JW83
    JW83

I found leaving easy - it all happened so fast! But staying out is a killer. I miss my best friend so much all the time and yesterday I even visited my KH (during the day!) just cos I missed it. (Crazy, I know). I was a witness from when I was 8 to 23, so I have heaps of memories wrapped up in the place and people. But overall, it's worth it - I've never been happier.

SlayersBrother - you can do it! The freedom is intoxicating.

• Tina
    Tina

welcome aboard Hungry!
    Thanks for sharing that with us! Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit