"Joined-As-Adult" JW's: What need did the WT fulfill for you?

by Check_Your_Premises 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Yes. I accepted that no one or thing has control over life. I must look to myself for strength.
    What went into you having this realization? What external forces allowed or influenced it?

WRONG/FALSE/UNPROVABLE ANSWERS!
    I had no choice but to stop looking for answers and realize that things happen for no reason to whomever. Deep thought alone influenced this.

as a new parent at the time it removed the fear of dying at armageddon

With me as well.

• LivingInReality
    LivingInReality

I was raised a Witness too.... but my dad came in as an adult, fresh out of serving in Viet Nam...and brought my mom in with him. My now ex-husband, came in at 20...after leading a life going nowhere through drugs and alcohol. It seems to me that people who are searching for "answers" about life are prime pickings for the organization. It's easier for people in a weakened state to have someone tell them everyday "this is what music you can listen to... these are the clothes you can wear, this is the way you need to lead your life...." and it takes the stresses out of their lives for having to make decisions for themselves.... eventually when they grow a bit stronger as individuals, it's too late...their enslaved.

Face it, isn't it easier for people to do for you , then to have to struggle with doing for yourself.... i think that's one of the greatest snare tactics for the Witnesses.... remember they always preach to "find the meek" what they are really saying is "find the WEAK"... they prey on people who are in vulnerable emotional times... don't you ever notice how much attention is given to new inductees... the constant invites to gatherings, people coming over with meals, car rides given if needed.... quite a picture of "family" love... which dries up over time when their real nature takes precedent of becoming a policing agency trying to "turn people in" and get others in trouble. It's like the Salem Witch trials of the 2000s.

• acadian
    acadian
    Were you able to fulfill or remove that need in some way?

Did fulfilling that need make it possible or easier for you to exit the wt?

In the beginning it seemed so, but as time went on, the fact that they weren't fulfilling that need, and their lies, failed preditions, lack of love, ect. time to leave...

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    In the beginning it seemed so, but as time went on, the fact that they weren't fulfilling that need, and their lies, failed preditions, lack of love, ect. time to leave...

So you were able to fulfill those needs outside the org?

• acadian
    acadian

Hi CYP,
    you said:

So you were able to fulfill those needs outside the org?

In short, yes.

When I joined the Org. I was searching for truth, (spiritual truth) and the Org. fulfilled that need to a point.
    I wasn't raised in the Org. so when I met JW's at my door they seemed like good people (and the majority are, they just have their eyes closed)

Anyway, as time went on, like most of us here I started learning the truth about the WT, I started having doutbs so I did research and eventually left the Org.

I've since come to realize Truth, Happiness, Love, and all the things that make you happy start first on the inside of each of us.
    I learned that if you don't take care of your own house first, it's a lot more difficult to help others with their's

I realized happiness and Truth doesn't come from a book, church, KH, or anywhere, but from inside, each, and everyone of us

Hope that answered your question?

Acadian

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I began studying of my own free will in 1972, when the US was all hysterical about ecological crisis, Vietnam, and about to deal with Watergate and the first oil crisis.

I was afraid the world would end soon, even before the Witnesses showed me all that Armageddon crap in the Bible. What turned the trick for me was the whole "the meek shall inherit the earth thing."

I was really just looking for a place to hide from life. I found it, until the walls began to close in. When they got too close, I suffered for another ten years and then left.

I wasn't really able to leave until I saw that I would actually be a better person, more free to act ethically, if I were no longer a Witness. I was still scared of most things, and I've spent most of the past eleven years teaching myself to hope. I'm fairly good at it now.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit