HELPING TEENS IN TROUBLE ---WATCHTOWER STYLE COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS

by LDH 18 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH
    Answer: because they have two sets of standards: one for them (which is totally unrestrictive) and a different one for everyone else. Hey! Watchtower Legal Settlement Compliance Reporting Officers who are reading this thread: Isn't there an Old Testament scripture about having two sets of scales is a sin and detestable to god?

Bingo. Which is why every 'source' they cite gets an email from me after I've put time into researching whether 1. said quote was taken out of context to prove WT point or 2. Whether permission was obtained.

Follow the money.Force them to use what they have defending themselves the way they forced Quotes to do. Hold them accountable.

I thought it a nice aside that old Scottie boy is a politician AND a church elder, and here they are quoting him.

Lisa

More than one way to skin a cat RAT Class

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I haven't read the thread yet butr I had to comment on the staged picture;
    Youths my a$$! He looks to be coming up on thirty and she's probably his wife, airbrushed to a lolita level appearance. After all the Society™ can't place two single horny kids in such a tempting and provocative situation.

• LDH
    LDH
    This means if Quotes had made appropriate comments between each quote it would have been legal. The WT may be deceptive in its use of quotations, but it is not double standards, it is copyright law, and that's a fact.

I agree 100%. This is how the WT has LONG gotten around honoring (citing) original source material in FULL.

Note in the example I cited they don't give the reader any information about who Scott Walker is. They only cite him as an authoritative example of teen research. In fact, Mr. Walker is nothing more than Religious Conservative Pat Buchanan and the same ilk.

Lisa

A Word to the Wise is Sufficient Class

• undercover
    undercover
    Quotes was illegal because it was just quotes. Canadian, and US too for that matter, says a work may be quoted if part of a critcal analysis. This means if Quotes had made appropriate comments between each quote it would have been legal. The WT may be deceptive in its use of quotations, but it is not double standards, it is copyright law, and that's a fact.

It's ironic that a website that had no 'critical analysis' of the quoted material, just the quotes alone(so as to not be 'apostate') is shot down by the WTS while dozens of other sites(anti-JW and apostate in nature)are allowed to exist with the same material because they provide 'critical analysis'.

• LDH
    LDH
    It's ironic that a website that had no 'critical analysis' of the quoted material, just the quotes alone(so as to not be 'apostate') is shot down by the WTS while dozens of other sites(anti-JW and apostate in nature)are allowed to exist with the same material because they provide 'critical analysis'.

ain't it though?

Lurkers, active JWs and all other interested ones. Examine every single "quote" in your WT material. No permissions were ever obtained from the original author who was cited.

In fact, they have boldly plagarized other source material on many occasions with no credit to the author.

Don't believe me? For newbies I will cite an example that I have mentioned on this board before.

About 17-18 years ago while visiting NYC, my sister and I stayed in the Waldorf and dined in the Russian Tea Room. She purchased a "matroika" for about $3,500 and a book about the history of the matroika. (A "matroika" (SP?) is also known in Russian as a matrushka. These are the little wooden dolls that stack inside of the other ones.

About six months later (?) you guessed it! The AWake ran an article about the matroika. My sister immediately recognized the wording of the article. It was directly stolen, literally word for word from the book she had purchased previously. Some of the phrases were not even changed. It was credited, of course to the anonymous "By AWake! Correspondent in Russia."

Perhaps someone can post that article here from a CD ROM, please?

I'm sure the "Society" never in a million years thought that anyone would own that book.

JW Publishing house truly has two sets of scales.

JWs ask yourself, why the only book they've ever published which included source material (Creation) was an embarrasment to them. Original articles and authors were contacted to verify the truthfulness of their work. Lo and behold, the JW were discredited once again.

Lisa

Correspondents my ass, Class

• Quotes
    Quotes

James Free said:

============
    Sorry guys, I hate the WT as much as you do, but you just don't understand copyright law.

Quotes was illegal because it was just quotes. Canadian, and US too for that matter, says a work may be quoted if part of a critical analysis. This means if Quotes had made appropriate comments between each quote it would have been legal. The WT may be deceptive in its use of quotations, but it is not double standards, it is copyright law, and that's a fact.
    ============

James, we could get into discussion about the "implied commentary" included with the highlighting and categorization of my site; we could talk about cited vs. non-cited fair use, etc. We could talk about how this case pushed into very new and exciting interpretation of CDN IP law, which is not clearly resolved one way or the other. However, that would just be me relating 2nd hand what some well respected IP lawyers advised me, arguing against your opinion.

Now, unless you are an IP lawyer or IP legal scholar, your opinion is just that -- your (lay) opinion.

Do you really think their suit would have not been launched, if I interspersed their quotes with the occasional critical sentence? I think not. But that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

~Q

• greendawn
    greendawn

Given their dexterity in manipulating data I doubt whether things are much worse today than they had been in the past they chose three high impact stories to create an impression that most teenagers are blood thirsty brutes. There will always be some psychopaths in society committing ghastly crimes.

Even so what does the WTS do to help its own youths grow up as normal human beings apart from reminding them all the time that premarital sex is something evil, as if that's going to help.

• LDH
    LDH
    It appears that Italy has some kind of regulation that requires published material to contain full source references for quoted material. Thus, the Italian Trinity brochure contains full references, including page numbers -- something that the English version leaves out. Since the Society has the references, and is demonstrably able to include them -- even making sure that the English and Italian versions of this brochure are each 32 pages long -- it follows that omission of source references is deliberate. The only reasonable explanation is that the Society wants to make it difficult for readers to check the references.

Lurkers,

Are you comfortable trusting your spiritual health to a bunch of anonymous writers that cannot be held to even the bost basic journalistic principles?

If the Holy spirit is behind what is being written 100%, what is the shame in adding the writer's name so that all could get to know one's style and look out for that person's latest article???

Lisa

Likes to know who writes the SH!T Class

• John Doe
    John Doe

According to polygraph experts, Lisa is trying to discredit the society through outrageous claims that have been proven by social authorities to be patently untrue. In fact, some even say she "likes" women.--John Doe's correspondent in intelligence agency headquarters.

How's that? lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit