HELPING TEENS IN TROUBLE ---WATCHTOWER STYLE COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS

by LDH 18 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2005/4/8/article_01.htm

So I thought you would enjoy this series of articles, which tells us how evil and wicked teens are, and what exactly we can do to help them.

You might notice that the article mentions "Author Scott Walker" a number of times. Who, you ask, is Scott Walker that his views on teens should be so credible? He is a religious conservative. Scott Walter
    Vice President for Research and Publications

Scott Walter joined the staff of The Roundtable in 2001 as vice president for publications and research. From 1995 to 2001, he worked at the American Enterprise Institute as senior editor of The American Enterprise, where he wrote on such topics as innovative high schools, military-civil relations, and middle-class juvenile delinquents.

A native of Knoxville, Tennessee, Walter came to Washington in 1981 to attend Georgetown University, where he majored in political philosophy. In addition to his studies he founded a new campus magazine and worked as a research assistant for Michael Novak at AEI. In 1985, he became a full-time researcher for Novak before becoming managing editor of Crisis magazine in 1988.

He serves as a lector at Washington's Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle and lives with his wife, Erica, and three children in Alexandria, Virginia.

http://www.taemag.com/issues/issueID.120/toc.asp

What, you ask, are these "utes" doing that is so wrong? See the 'posed' WT pic below of two 'utes' about to get into trouble.

Unsupervised youths can easily get into trouble .....LOL don't they look salacious.....

Two questions arise from these articles. What is the best advice for utes today?

The Bible provides the best moral center possible, for it contains the thoughts of the Creator. Who could know more than Jehovah God about what we need in order to cope with the troubled times that we live in?

LOL you knew that was coming.....

Jehovah’s Witnesses have found the Bible-based book Questions Young People Ask—Answers That Work to be a great help. Each of its 39 chapters deals with a thought-provoking question. Some of the titles are: “How Can I Make Real Friends?” “How Can I Cope With Peer Pressure?” “How Can I Make My Loneliness Go Away?” “Am I Ready to Date?” “Why Say No to Drugs?” “What About Sex Before Marriage?”

heh heh.

But, most importantly, since the WBTS is so daggone uptight about Copyrights, did they get good old Scott Walkers permission to cite his articles to prove their own point?

Lisa

Just checking Class

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness
    most importantly, since the WBTS is so daggone uptight about Copyrights, did they get good old Scott Walkers permission to cite his articles to prove their own point?

Perhaps we should send him a little email LDH. Remember when we both emailed that other publication about the WT's ridiculous claim that they said the earth's population could fit in Texas?

Hee hee. I'm sure we can direct dear ol' Scott to the copyright infrigement laws for his state including any local lawyers in his area

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm afraid that their use would fall under "fair use" so long as they attribute the quote to the original author.

• LDH
    LDH
    I'm afraid that their use would fall under "fair use" so long as they attribute the quote to the original author.

Bingo.

Since when does the WT name the authors of their articles?

Lisa

By Awake! Correspondent in Fresno Class

• LDH
    LDH

Stilla,

Don't you worry your sweet little head.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The Watchtower is allowed to cite Mr. Scott Walker, just as you can cite anyone. However, did they quote him correctly? Go back and get his original writings. Where did he say this? Did the WTS take his words out of context?

Skeeter

• LDH
    LDH
    The Watchtower is allowed to cite Mr. Scott Walker, just as you can cite anyone.

Really?

So why was Quotes sued by the WT for citing the WT's own words? No context was used at all on his site.

• Quotes
    Quotes

LDH asked:

"So why was Quotes sued by the WT for citing the WT's own words?"

Answer: because they have two sets of standards: one for them (which is totally unrestrictive) and a different one for everyone else. Hey! Watchtower Legal Settlement Compliance Reporting Officers who are reading this thread: Isn't there an Old Testament scripture about having two sets of scales is a sin and detestable to god?

Interesting aside: my lovely wife was relating to me a telephone conversation she had with my Mom while I was at work this week. Among other things, my mother said, quite strongly, "[Quotes] broke the law! That website broke the law" I can't wait until the next time I'm talking to Mom, so I can get her to explain how, if that is true, Watchtower is breaking the law in pretty much every issue (with Mr. Scott Walker being just one of thousands of examples). Then I sit back and watch the mental gears grind and the smoke escape from Mom's ears. I love my Mom, but this is for her own good.

~Q

• gumby
    gumby
    Watchtower is breaking the law in pretty much every issue (with Mr. Scott Walker being just one of thousands of examples).

Here was Alan F's first post here on JWD regarding this very issue.

Some information I just received solidly nails the Watchtower Society's coffin shut in the intellectual honesty department.

Since the Society published the brochure Should You Believe in the Trinity? in English in 1989, a number of people have complained that many of the citations were misrepresentations of the intent of the authors, or simply did not show what the Society's writer claimed. This is in keeping with many other WTS publications, such as the infamous 1985 Creation book, which I have demonstrated contains at least a hundred misrepresentations, misinterpretations and assorted scholastic inaccuracies.

The Society, as usual, gives incomplete citations for its source references in the Trinity brochure. For example, it might say, "The Catholic Encyclopedia comments: ...", but it gives no volume or page number. This makes it much more difficult for anyone -- whether JWs or critics -- to check the references. Many have complained that this policy of failing to give full references for quoted material is deliberate, and is done so as to make it not worth the time of individual JWs to check them. I also claim that the Society does this to make it that much harder for critics to find their deliberate misrepresentations.

I just received the Italian version of the Trinity brochure, and it fully justifies complaints of Watchtower intellectual dishonesty.

It appears that Italy has some kind of regulation that requires published material to contain full source references for quoted material. Thus, the Italian Trinity brochure contains full references, including page numbers -- something that the English version leaves out. Since the Society has the references, and is demonstrably able to include them -- even making sure that the English and Italian versions of this brochure are each 32 pages long -- it follows that omission of source references is deliberate. The only reasonable explanation is that the Society wants to make it difficult for readers to check the references.

This hesitancy to include source references goes back a long way in Watchtower history. I remember as a child reading The Watchtower and wondering why there were so few full references, especially when I wanted to look up the context in the library. One of the few exceptions was the 1985 Creation book. But the Society got burned pretty badly on this, with many people writing in to complain about the misrepresentations. The 1998 Creator book goes back to standard WTS policy and gives few full citations. Obviously, they don't want a repeat of the Creation book fiasco.

It would be interesting for anyone who has any Italian WTS literature to compare it with the English counterparts. I wonder how many of the Italian versions contain full source references? It would make an interesting study to do this comparison.

AlanF

• James Free
    James Free

Sorry guys, I hate the WT as much as you do, but you just don't understand copyright law.

Quotes was illegal because it was just quotes. Canadian, and US too for that matter, says a work may be quoted if part of a critcal analysis. This means if Quotes had made appropriate comments between each quote it would have been legal. The WT may be deceptive in its use of quotations, but it is not double standards, it is copyright law, and that's a fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit