Watchtower Promotes Creationism and Contradicts Itself!!!

by SickofLies 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Cyberguy,

They dropped the creative-day = 7,000 years, when a friend of mine, an editor for the “Aid,” then “Insight” volumes, made know to WT-officials that this understanding was based on the same Jewish “scholars” that were responsible for the Kabbalah. My friend said that this put the fear of God in them, and they became frightened! Thereafter, they only refer to the creative days in terms of “thousands of years,” and have opted not to explain why they’ve dropped the theory that the creative-day = 7,000 years!

Interesting, I never heard about that.

As I've been out for many years, I wonder whether, among current JWs, this explanation is really considered as "dropped" ("old light") or as somewhat "secret" (i.e. "actually we 'know' it's 7,000 years, but we now say 'thousands of years' to sound more 'scientifically credible'").

(To the wider topic of "creation": homo faber => deus faber?)

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I can tell you first hand that here in Canada, nearly all dubs are aware that the old view of 7000 years per creative day has been dropped for the unspecified "thousands of years".

Its definitely in the reasoning book (ohmygod!, has it been 2 decades?!!).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Apparently the last mention is in The Watchtower 1/1, 1987:

a study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate (sic) that each of the creative days (Genesis, chapter 1) is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ’s reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God’s 7,000-year ‘rest day,’ the last ‘day’ of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long.

What happens if a JW refers to this "understanding" which was never denied since then?

• FairMind
    FairMind
    What happens if a JW refers to this "understanding" which was never denied since then?

I believe he'll be corrected as to the "new light understanding" which allows the creation process to be of an indefinate lenght, even perhaps billions of years. If he refuses to recant of his old WT beliefs he might just be DF'd for apostasy. "If you don't move ahead with Jehovah's Organization you'll be left at the station."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

FairMind,

I believe he'll be corrected as to the "new light understanding" which allows the creation process to be of an indefinate lenght, even perhaps billions of years. If he refuses to recant of his old WT ;beliefs he might just be DF'd for apostasy. ; "If you don't move ahead with Jehovah's Organization you'll be left at the station."

Even when the WT never overruled the "old light" in writing? The current phrasing, "thousands of years," doesn't explicitly contradict the former "7,000 years".

When the WT was still speaking of "7,000-year creative days (e.g. in the 1983 articles I referred to above), it already allowed "billions of years" for the universe, including the earth, on the understanding that Genesis 1:1 ("In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth") was before "day one".

Perhaps we can have some current JW "test" that one for us.

• Pole
    Pole

The really cool thing is that some of their writers seem to believe in hyper-speed evolution which supposedly took place just after the Flood. I think it was in the 'Insight' book (correct me if I'm wrong) that they suggested that since "the canopy" was removed after the Deluge, there was increased cosmic radiation so that, for example, one "kind" (WT taxonomy) of cats rapidly evolved into all the different species of cats we can observe today.

Flip-flop, flip-flop.

Pole

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2004/6/22/article_03.htm

For instance, creationists often say that the entire universe was created in six literal 24-hour days some 6,000 years ago. With teachings like this, they misrepresent the Bible, which says that God created the heavens and the earth "in the beginning"—at some unstated point before the more specific creative "days" began. ( Genesis 1:1 ) Significantly, the Genesis account shows that the expression "day" is used in a flexible sense. At Genesis 2:4 , the entire period of six days described in the preceding chapter is spoken of as only one day. Logically, these were, not literal days of 24 hours, but long periods of time. Each of these epochs evidently lasted thousands of years.

steve

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL, I just noticed the contradiction in stevenyc's quote:

For instance, creationists often say that the entire universe was created in six literal 24-hour days some 6,000 years ago. With teachings like this, they misrepresent the Bible, which says that God created the heavens and the earth "in the beginning"—at some unstated point before the more specific creative "days" began. ( Genesis 1:1 ) Significantly, the Genesis account shows that the expression "day" is used in a flexible sense. At Genesis 2:4 , the entire period of six days described in the preceding chapter is spoken of as only one day. Logically, these were, not literal days of 24 hours, but long periods of time. Each of these epochs evidently lasted thousands of years.

Genesis 2:4 ("In the day Yhwh 'elohim made the earth and the heavens") is supposed to be equivalent to 1:1, hence before the "six days" by the previous statement...

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

The idea of six days not being literal is NOT supported by the bible:

Exodus 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 34: 21 "For six days you may work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; on that day you must rest even during the seasons of plowing and harvesting.

Is Exodus 34:21 refering to six peroids? I don't think so!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit