Pressured

by mjs mouse, ben 25 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I remember my dad telling me that even the lowest of the low who've left the "truth" still attend ...

Right, and that's how they'll view you if the Memorial is the only time you show up at a KH!

The gossipmongers will say, 'Wow, did you notice all the losers who only show up for the Memorial? Who do they think they're kidding? It's just like Christendom, where people go to church at Christmas and Easter and can't be bothered the rest of the year."

They say they really want you to come, but unless the Memorial attendance is the beginning of your full and complete return to the "fold," you'll be dissed. Dubs are trained to be judgmental!

So, why bother? Why give them something to talk about? If you personally think Christ's death needs to be memorialized in some fashion and you need to be present for the occasion, there are thousands of churches holding similar ceremonies on or around Easter. They'll be happy you showed up and very few of them will lay a guilt trip on you. If you can't bring yourself to set foot in a church but still feel the need to acknowledge the event, hold your own memorial at home.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I remember my dad telling me that even the lowest of the low who've left the "truth" still attend ...

Right, and that's how they'll view you if the Memorial is the only time you show up at a KH!

The gossipmongers will say, 'Wow, did you notice all the losers who only show up for the Memorial? Who do they think they're kidding? It's just like Christendom, where people go to church at Christmas and Easter and can't be bothered the rest of the year."

They say they really want you to come, but unless the Memorial attendance is the beginning of your full and complete return to the "fold," you'll be dissed. Dubs are trained to be judgmental!

This is so true. I think they're inviting EVERYONE because they realize their numbers are down and are trying to get them back up. I think it's panic mode personally. Going to the Memorial is supposed to "shake/rattle" us into believing their crap again. Riiight.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Our first Memorial sans WTS, my son and I celebrated at home. I haven't really felt a need to do that since the first one. Lots of reasons why not.

Frannie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    saying things like "this may be the last memorial b4 the END", you've heard the spiel before.....crap like that is putting a lot a pressure on me this year

Propose a wager! Tell them that if the end does not come before the next "memorial", they will pay you $100. If the end does come before the next "memorial" you'll pay them $100. How can they refuse unless they are convinced you are among the ones to be killed resulting in your not being able to pay?

This way you can gauge their certainty of the end being eminent. Are they so sure that they are willing to put up $100? Is their faith not worth $100? What have they got to loose if the end really is so close?

If they aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is, then politely bid them "good day" and close your front door behind them.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Go ahead and go, but be sure to partake! - you too can be counted among the approximately 8,550 immortals from the year 1914 -

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

I feel your pain my friend. The first memorial I missed, sorry to say, I lied to my mom and said I was going to another friend's congregation. I was too scared to just tell her the truth. The next year, I was newly married and my mom insisted that my husband and I go with her, that we're being selfish and not thinking about the family. By this time, we're Christians and we said, thank you for the invite but no. We went to our first Easter celebration instead. We were stunned by the difference. There was so much joy and the emphasis was not on the memorial talk - 'Jesus is dead and you'll be dead soon unless you do what we say!' It was a message of hope and the emphasis was 'Jesus has risen and he loves you'. So the 3rd memorial we missed, my husband's mom sent us a guilt letter, telling us that we're disrespecting Christ by not going, we didn't respond to the usual judging, condemnation, you better go pressure, we went to another Easter instead, read the bible, went out to lunch, just enjoyed the family time. This is our 4th memorial and no invitation yet, if any one dares we'll invite them to Church! One year my brother went and he was so uncomfortable, said it was depressing, that there was just nothing for him there. Sorry to say, the gb don't care about you, they care about their numbers. Wish you all the best - V Sky.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

mjs mouse, ben

Tell them you couldn't make it because you had a hangnail.

Dismembered

• Ellie
    Ellie

Well atleast they care enough to invite you, not that you should go, but be glad they still think of you and want the best for you, even if their idea of best is a load of old tripe.

This is the second year now that I havn't even been invited, I wouldn't mind if I was disfellowshipped or disassociated, but I'm not and they still don't want me there.

• mjs mouse, ben
    mjs mouse, ben

Hello everyone, just wanted to thank you all for the responses and words of ecouragement, I think I'm going to stand my ground this year and NOT go! I'll just make up an excuse, u know tell a lil fib, I do have to admit I learned from the best liars in the bizness, the WatchTower Corp.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If this is going to be the LAST memorial, then they must be ready to pass around the Kool Aid.

I haven't been invited and I doubt that I will be. I like it like that.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit