I registered to vote

by NewYork44M 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Cool New York! Good for you. I voted for the first time during the 2000 election for Gore as prez and Hillary as Senator of NY, It was exhilarating, For the first time, I enjoyed watching election results, knowing that I played a tiny part. Ironically, I didn't stop attending meetings until 2003! Voted again in 2004, I feel like a pro now! Don't like the current administration at all so I can't wait for 2008, hope the democrats or independants can bring it.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Milestones in an ex-cult member's life include:

Registering to vote.

Donating blood.

Attending a Christian church.

I am one out of three. I have no interest in attending a christian church and have not donated bood. However, I am interested in attending some sort of buddhist service. Has anyone tried that.

I am actually happy that I did not register for the last major election. I would have probably voted for Bush. In retrospect that would have been a mistake, at least for me.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Congratulations New York!!! You're exercising an important contribution to your community (unless you're a Republican..just kidding )

I too am fiscally conservative but socially liberal. I consider myself politically moderate and am registered as a Democrat. The current direction of this country is alarming and sometimes I miss the days when I was socially and politically ignorant as a JW.

My milestones for a former JW's (especially those raised in the religion like I was) are:

Register to vote

Enroll in college (at the bare minimum, take some world history and sociology courses, if you had any doubt about your decision to leave the religion, learning world history will probably solidify your decision)

Celebrate your birthday and all the holidays (you might want to host your very "first" birthday party and you can even make yourself younger by stating your age according to how many birthdays you've actually celebrated. And don't worry, no one will be beheaded at your party but keep a bucket and rags handy just in case

Get really drunk to celebrate your freedom, in a fabulous bar/lounge with your new friends (and if you're single, get laid too)

Plan your career and definitely start planning for retirement

Good luck and let us know how your first voting experience turns out. During my first time, I was scared to death that I would hit the wrong buttons or break the thing. I studied the voter information mailing like I would for a college final.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit