"Crash" - the movie

by Billygoat 58 Replies latest social entertainment

• jstalin
    jstalin

Great movie. As a citizen of the "fly over country," I think it was a good depiction of how people can treat each other. The citizens of fly over country need a little more of that kind of thing.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yeah, I saw it a long time back before I heard too much about it. I thought all the performances were really great, well maybe everyone except Ludacris, but he did pretty well, too. I especially liked the Don Cheadle's character's mom. I thought that storyline with him, his mom and his brother was fantastic. And Terrence Howard, too. It was one of those few movies that seemed to really blow me away when I first saw it. And I still like to watch it again sometimes, which is unusual for me. I was really happy it won best picture. I didn't see some of the others, but my favorites rarely win and I was really surprised it did.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

All I can say is that I LOVED this movie!!! It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that just kept me in silence as the credits rolled. I was speechless. And I think it was much more than a movie simply dealing with racism.

One of the things I loved about this movie is that almost everyone had a huge character flaw. There was something about them that you just really disliked. But there was always something about them that made you love them at the same time. Just when I was ready for Matt Dillon to be strung up, he's helping at the car crash.

I guess it was just a reminder to me that we all have our good and bad side. I know if I showed you all of me on my bad days, you'd wonder who this girl is. But my husband sees that and still loves me in spite of it. I see all of his flaws and don't even question my love for him. *shrug* I guess I like the idea of us all being completely transparent and the vulnerabilities of our faults (whether racism or anything else!) being somehow balanced with our goodness.

I think somehow makes me realize that I have to work so hard to pull the rafter out of my own eye, before I complain about the straw in my brothers.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Fine movie. The title could well have been "Everyone's A Racist" because it seemed everyone in the movie was to some extent.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

This film reminds me of one of my core beliefs: People are generally insane. Or as Werner Herzog puts it so eloquently in the film "Grizzley Man," ""I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder."

People want to be helpful and kind but they're assaulted from all sides by stress, negative pressure, other people who are jerks. This makes them harder than they should be, more cruel and sucks away their ability to have compassion. If this world had never known differences in color and ethnicity, it would still be the same.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Loved "Grizzly Man" - I think that was one of the best movies I saw last year. I enjoyed "Crash" while I was watching it, (especially the snow in L.A. scene) but it faded pretty quickly for me. The whole "racist cop saves the life of the woman he molested" thing just seemed a bit too tidy and very Hollywood. (Also liked Cronenberg's Crash because you need a little sickness sometime - I never thought of it as softcore though, there was nothing sexy about it.)

LOL @ 6of9

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

To me, the theme of the movie is --- you don't know yourself as well as you think you do. Something could happen and you could react way differently than you thought you would. Racism is just what gets everything moving in that movie. It's not only about that.

spoiler alert - -

Matt Dillon's character probably never thought he would risk his life for a black woman. Don Cheadle's character probably never thought he would screw over another cop to help his deadbeat brother. Ryan Philipe's character probably never thought he would shoot somebody because he was acting suspiciously while being black. The Persian father probably never thought he would try to kill someone out of rage. Sandra Bullock's character probably never thought she would someday realize her maid was a better friend than any of her other friends. Ludacris's character wouldn't have expected to help asian immigrants and pass up an opportunity to make money at their expense. Terrence Howard's character probably never imagined he had it in him to stand up to thugs and cops.

I thought that aspect of the movie was the most interesting.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((hemplover))))) *waving*

Yes, I agree it was tidy. But I think that was the point. It made you think about not just getting second chances, but making them before something drastic happens. When you look at yourself honestly, what changes could you make before something drastically shifts your paradigm? I know I have several MAJOR character flaws I need to work on. This movie has helped me realize not to waste time on waiting.

I thought that aspect of the movie was the most interesting.

I agree.

I would say this hits my top 10 list of all time.

Andi

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have received an email from NetFlix that "Crash" is in the mail!

• serendipity
    serendipity

I watched Crash this weekend and thought it was great. I watched it with my daughter and we explored her dislike of Hispanics, which she's had since she was very young. It helped her to understand how ugly racism is, yet we all have preconceived notions and buy into stereotypes that aren't accurate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit