Question for professional bike riders...

by kittyeatzjdubs 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Well my pants were getting a little tight in the bottom so I decided to do something about it. Today I went and bought myself a bicycle. It's a 6 speed Huffy Insbruck. Nothing real fancy...I just wanted something to get out of the house on. Anyway, my question is this. How exactly does one ride a 6 speed bike? I'm fine as long as I'm going downhill or on level ground...but once I hit the slightest incline, it's like I'm pedaling through quicksand. I tried to switch gears while going uphill and it made this awful ''CUCHUCKCLANG!'' sound...completely freaked me out. So I walked the rest of the way up the hill, and once I got to the top and rode down, it was fine. So do you have to switch the gears in a certain order at a certain point? Help!!!

luv, jojo

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

When I first saw this thread I thought you were talking about Motorcycle riders. I've had a few of those in my day. As far as a bicycle is concerned. Its all about gravity. You need to be in a much lower gear to climb hills. Try putting the bike in a lower gear just before starting the incline and go from there. If its too hard to climb keep downshifting to you reach a gear that's comfortable for you. If all else fails, stop and take the bus.

The Claw

• Spectre
    Spectre

How about posting some pictures of your tight pants.

The more you ride, the easier it will be. And like Ironclaw said, you need to prepare for a hill, shift down when you're still on the flat. And make sure your tires are pumped up, low tire pressure always makes you feel like you're riding in wet tar.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Oh yes, I am a professional!

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

oH ITS ABOUT GIRLY BIKES

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Shift BEFORE you can't hardly pedal anymore! If you wait until you are really really straining when you go to shift down the chain will jump and make that horrible noise, You might also notice that right before you hear the noise the petal jumps ahead an inch or two, thats the chain skipping a link. Can really hurt your knees too!

Also don't jump from first to sixth you can skip one or two but don't try to skip them all in one go!

• AntiPode
    AntiPode

I don't think you need the advice of a professional rider at this junction. It would be best to avoid hills if at all possible, and even avoid shifting as much as possible, staying on flat terrain to start, and keep in one gear. The aerobic workout will come from the time spent riding, pedaling at a steady rate for your whole ride, maybe 30min. to start and working up to one hour.

Keep the bike in a gear that you aren't pedalling so fast you get out of breath, and that isn't so slow your legs hurt. Go on an out-and-back route if you have to, flat to easy (real easy) rollers with not much traffic, car or pedestrian to worry about. And get out on the bike at least 4 times a week, if not 5 times, up to one hour each time to get any aerobic benefit.

Then, after a few months (depending on you), ride longer. And eventually save for a better bike, get cycling clothing, and when you can't stay off the bike, seek the advice of better riders.

Eventually you will learn what works for you. Become perceptive to your body as you ride and you will become more confident.

Stay Hungry.

S

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Also have the bike adjusted by a pro at a good shop (not walmart!) That will make a HUGE difference!

• AntiPode
    AntiPode

Is this your bike?

How much does it weigh?

S

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

One of the most important things you can do with this bike is take it to a local bike shop and have it checked out. I've read some real horror stories from owners of department store bike. A good bike shop can make sure it shifts correctly and that everything is tight and well lubed. If your just riding it around town this bike should be just fine for you. I wouldn't recommend taking it off road on any trails though. You might find yourself walking home. Also the folks at the bike shop can give you some riding tips and maybe adjust the bike to fit you better, making it more comfortable to ride.

On the shifting question, definetly try to plan you shifts. If you see a hill coming, shift down before you have to start pedaling hard. The worst thing you can do is shift while pedaling hard. This can cause the chain to bind and break and that's not a good thing . If you do find yourself on a hill and need to shift down, try giving the bike a couple of hard pedals so you can pedal easily for a couple of revolutions while shifting down. You will get better at all of this after you've been riding a while.

Have fun on your new bike. I absolutely love riding mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit