People can buy your cell phone records. Does this scare you?

by free2beme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

The company I work for has a huge part in the cell phone business. I know that people are seeing these online sites that claim that you can buy a person's cell phone call records. As a person who knows and works in this industry, I want you to know this is 100% true and possible. It has caught the cell phone industry off guard and there are tons of pending lawsuits now in the works. It will no doubt make it's way to the supreme court, and who knows how they will rule. Just remember, this is possible and is true. People are freaking out about it a bit and some cell phone companies have taken the step to downplay this and act like it us more urban legend, then truth. This is wrong and there is nothing you can do or put on your cell phone account to stop it, YET! If you want, and you know the person's cell phone number, you can buy a record of all their incoming and outgoing calls, anytime.

How does that make you feel?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is just plain wrong - only the security services should be able to sequester ones cell phone record and even then only with a warrant

• John Doe
    John Doe

Who cares about cell-phone records?

• free2beme
    free2beme

What if you were being stalked? If that person knew who you called, it could be a issue. Personally, I see it as an invasion of privacy.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I don't think I'm exciting enough for anyone to want mine.

Doesn;t that fall under a privacy act of some kind?

Dams

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Damn ...

So they can track all of those "900" numbers I call every night.

Rub a Dub

• Highlander
    Highlander

It's a great service. I've used it on a couple of occasions when helping out my sister with her cheating husband.

• bebu
    bebu

Only if I get billed twice.

bebu

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Why should it scare us?? I'll post my bill here if anyone is going to be so fascinated with who I called and who called me..

I think it's fairly obvious which way it will go in the courts, it will be illegal as it's clearly an infringement of privacy, until then I must stop my heavy breathing phone calls to Vin Diesel.

Poppy xx

• luna2
    luna2

Another reminder that we have very little privacy in this country. I think it stinks and it worries me...not for personal reasons, just because of the general principle of the thing.

I never used my cell much so I cancelled the service a couple months ago. Only had it for emergencies and for traveling so, even if somebody bought my records, there isn't much there... I know other people use their cells extensively.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit