New Book- The World Is Flat by Friedman

by stillajwexelder 13 Replies latest social current

• jstalin
    jstalin

Friedman's book is great. Also check out "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It basically tracks the development of civilization around the world from about 13,000 years ago to today and he examines why certain cultures advanced beyond others. Very interesting read.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

Thanks for the recommend

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I always find Tom Friedman's interviews on The Charlie Rose Show and his editorials in the NY Times (and syndicated) really of interest. He had an editorial this past week on how Dick Cheney's and 'Big Oils' views on alternative energy are finally getting a serious run for their money, and how Cheney-thinking is starting to be viewed as out-dated by a good number of conservative Republicans.

The Bush Administration is in serious trouble in this country. Coming into office with pre-conceived notions of what you need to do, rejecting any critical thinking about those ideas, and then isolating yourself with a bunch of yes-men while you reject and neutralize your party's leading thinkers and intellectuals is finally catching up with W. He's getting that "wide-eyed-deer-in-the-headlights look" all too frequently now.

Glad we've got some great Democrat thinkers leading the charge to get this country right again! Oops, guess that's just wishful thinking. Where the hell are our leaders???

S4

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In one chapter it asks "What is the difference between an Indian and a Pakistani?" A young Indian boy is with his father and sees a man in a 1 million dollar house on a hill . The Indian boy says to his father "One Day I am going to be that man" the Pakistani boy says "One Day I am going to kill that man"

Now of course it is a generalization - but India has hope, whereas Pakistan does not if its present polices continue. That is the point of the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit