New Book- The World Is Flat by Friedman

by stillajwexelder 13 Replies latest social current

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have just read a book which is relatively new - The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. Well worth a read. Discusses religion in one chapter. Basically discusses how technology, fiber-optic cables, computing , outsourcing etc is flattening the world and how China and India are really benefitting. It discusses how knowledge and truth are becoming more freely available and having a flattening effect.

Talks about how accepting change and not living in a cloistered narrow world will benefit us all. Tal;ks abouyt hwo Arab world is thus falling even further behind and why there is so much outrage and humiliation on the muslim street. They have to cahnge and thin outside the box to benefit. I also could not stop thinking about the WTS as I was reading the book.

Good Read

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ISBN 0-374-29288-4

• Shining One
    Shining One

That is interesting. Did you know that one of the main reasons that so many Muslims are in bondage to their religion is because they cannot read? They have to depend on the Imams and their cronies to even know what their Koran teaches. An educated Islamic public is the real key to stopping the medevial laws and culture, but that would put the elite out of power.

Rex

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't get what you mean by "flattening" the world.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well read the book - but have you heard the phrase levelling the playing field -well by levelling the playing field you are making the earth flatter - so technology is enabling somebody in Bangalore to do say some artwork for an advertising company just as well as a person in downtown Manhattan

• gumby
    gumby
    An educated Islamic public is the real key to stopping the medevial laws and culture, but that would put the elite out of power.

Same goes for christianity....eh Rex?

One of my best friends isn't pursuing the fact his doctors are dragging their feet on setting up an appointment to do further work on diagnosing his newfound lymphoma cancer. He's not worried.... because all his buddies are praying for him. He feels anything he ask in the Lords name will be given him. He has faith in the bibles promise.

Gumby

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Most Muslims do not even know what they are saying when they are quoting Koran passages.A Pakistani friend says its in old Arabic and he can say it but does not know what he is saying.Its blah blah blah kill whitey.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Friedman's book is having a profound impact on the culture, primarily because what he describes is truly happening out there and this means enormous changes for the US economy, education, jobs, etc. Dell Computer just announced that it is doubling its workforce over the next three years.... in India! When they complete that transition, they'll have more workers in India than in their HQ in Austin, TX.

Doctors, engineers, professors, computer programmers and many others are able to do their jobs from anywhere in the world, as long as they have two things: a computer and an education. Meanwhile, India and China's colleges are turning out more engineers and programmers than any of the western countries, including the U.S.

The playing field is indeed being leveled on a global basis. The results will be earthshaking in ways most Americans (and others in the West) do not want to think about. If want a peek into the future, and I don't mean the distant future, read this book.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Interesting book stilla,

Thanks for introducing me to the 'flat earth' concept.

Education is the path to freedom in many areas and for many people. The only thing threatened is tyranny. Open education undercuts the power base of the religious mullahs and priests and the high priests of commerce, the ratbag exploiters of cheap uneducated labour, especially in India and China.

We are certainly entering a brave new world.

unclebruce

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just finished it - really great. It is scathing on the Bush administration for "over-tightening" after 9/11.

Two Key dates are 11/9 and 9/11 11/9/1989 fall of Berlin Wall - 9/11 - well we all know that one

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit