Home Improvements (Electrical Work)

by sandy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Oh, is your name Mark..... just guessing by your screen name.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I don't know about from Florida but a return ticket for me would be about $1,000US lol.

unclebruce

ps:an electrician shouldn't work alone - it's dangerous .. we'd need transport to and from the hardware store too.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Keep in mind...you get what you pay for!

I agree ...get a professional not just a general contractor and get references from them.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

yup it's Mark

I priced a ticket for me to vegas last weekend it was only about $235!

I'm trying to get into networking a bit. The state is paying for me to get my MCSA so we could run a network too while were at it! Shoot 1000 square foot is cake!

• sandy
    sandy

thanks for all the advice.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey mr sparky -

if you end up in southern california could you please swing by and give farkel a real hard slap on behalf of all his friends and enemies on JWD!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'll put it on my list of things to do...

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Here's my humble two cents.

Demand a Square D panel.....Homeline minimum, but a QO is much better (will run more money).

All of your knob and tube wiring should be reconnected through GFI breakers.

Make sure your electrician provides the newly code-required Arc-Fault breakers for all bedroom circuits.

Your voltage will not be 100v, you probably meant 100 amps. A 100 amp panel is the minimum allowed under code (as opposed to the older 60 amp styles). The higher the ampacity of your service, the larger the feeder wire required and the more cost incurred.

I can't speak to the cost of work in California, it's much higher than other parts of the country. Are you only having your panel upgraded?

Remember, the lowest bid is not always the best option. Thoroughly research your contractor before you hire him. How many years has he been in business? Is he a member of any local business organizations? What type of insurance does he carry? Will the electrician performing your work be licensed?

• sandy
    sandy

Thnaks Jeeprube for the advice. I did mean 100 amps.

We are doing some new wiring as well. We know we have to have it done right and definitely by someone licensed.

We are not trying to cut the cost so much as far as the electrical work is concerned. We just want a fair deal for us and the electrician.

Thanks again, everyone for your advice.

Also, mrk my fiance tried calling you yesterday but the number was wrong. He said he dialed correctly.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

yup I gave you the wrong number, sorry its 904-626-4758

Demand a Square D panel.....Homeline minimum, but a QO is much better (will run more money).

Square D is no longer the best out there. I still use them a lot but they're are starting to piss me off with their crappy new panels and refusal to change to meet current needs! If they don't watch out GE is going to steal the entire market!

All of your knob and tube wiring should be reconnected through GFI breakers.

It should be REPLACED it's garbage and it's DANGEROUS! Put that junk on gfi breakers and it's just going to trip over and over will never be constant or safe, just replace it!

Make sure your electrician provides the newly code-required Arc-Fault breakers for all bedroom circuits

Can't get homeowners insurance without those now!

As to a 100amp panel... NO! Don't even think about it! 150 MINIMUM I would go with a 200 it's a small house sure but your talking a difference of MAYBE 25 dollars for the panel and then $.75 per foot for the service cable? I mean come ON!

GE has a new 200amp panel that's roughly the size of a 100amp panel cost 105.00 at home depot comes WITH 12 or 15 breakers and has 40 circuit spaces in it!!!!! A comparably sized Homeline would have 16 spaces! I put square D's into the last house's I've done but they have GOT to start innovating!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit