Home Improvements (Electrical Work)

by sandy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Any electricians out there?

My fiance and I are going to have a panel upgrade and all rewriring in our house. The house is an old craftsman built some time in the 30s here in California.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Our biggest concern of course is getting taken to the cleaners. We don't really know the right questions to ask.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I'm no electrician but I would suggest you get at least 3 quotes to be safe.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

buy me a plane ticket and I'll do it for you!

mark of the unemployed electrician class...

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    buy me a plane ticket and I'll do it for you!

mark of the unemployed electrician class...

WOW - awesome offer sandy buy me a plane ticket (3rd class) and I'll assist - we'll knock the bugger over in no time (I'll suppy my own coffee, tools and sleeping bag :) If the thought of apostate wiring worries you then as sickoflies said: obtain 3 quotes, ask arround for local recomendations and don't pay till the job is complete (I have no idea of the regulations over there - I'd love to know if you are stlill on the old 110v). flexable unclebruce ps: If you need plumbing or carpentary work I could do that while mkr is fiddling with your wires (I can only be there two weeks max but will put in 14 hour days lol)

• sandy
    sandy

We got about three quotes so far. They are very different.

#1 is about $3,000

#2 $10,000

#3 $6,0000

One guy told us that we shouldn't let a general contractor do the job. It's better to get an electrician only for the work.

I don't know what the voltage is now but we are going to upgrade to a 100 V Panel. I think its volts. I am totally lost with all the electrical talk.

Up in the attic we have nob & tube <------>

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yup just 110, easy stuff! I'm doing a panal change for my parents next weekend in the house they just bought friday! Did a complete rewire for them in a rental last month! Electrical work is lots of fun though I've got 16 three and four ways in my master bed and bath +3 cable tv runs for hanging tv's! Motion detector switches in the bathrooms are a classy touch too!

I got hurt and can't do electrical work full time anymore but still enjoy doing it!

Are you just going to upgrade to a new 200 amp panel? How much have you budgeted for the work? Also how many square feet are we talking about?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yeah thats how it is um your right your clueless hahahahahaha oh well actually all wiring in the united states (residential) is two phase 110 so for big items like a dryer or ac you pick up 110v off of each phase to give you 220!

I would think that doing it yourself will run you;

Panel $125
    Breakers $50
    Wire $500-750
    Meter Can $75-150
    Plugs switches etc $200
    Misc $500

Add to that the price of patching any drywall painting whatever your looking at maybe $2000 at the outside! Well, plus two plane tickets!

• sandy
    sandy

The square footage is about 1,000 sqft. mrk, would you mind talking to my fiance? We could really use some advice. If you'll pm me your number he can call you.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

904-626-4858

Hell ANYONE can call me~

• sandy
    sandy

LOL, thanks mrk. His name is Steve and my real name is Angela. I'll let him know he can call you. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit