Survey for those that believe in God

by SickofLies 13 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Just out of curiosity I’d like to know which brand of creationism you subscribe to and why you feel it is the right one.

1. Old Earth Creationism
    The belief that the earth and the universe are very old, and life was created in various stages that correspond to the way the Genesis account says they do. This view takes the Genesis account to be symbolic in some areas and literal in others. (Mainline belief of WTS and others)
    2. Gap Theory Creationism
    The idea that in Genesis 1:1 when God says He created the heavens and the earth it may refer to an entire ecosystem, that was later destroyed and then the modern ecosystem was put in place with Man being the supreme creation. This view permits an old earth and explains the fossil record while trying to maintain a 100% literal belief in the Genesis account. (As far as I know only the World Wide Church of God teaches this).
    3. Theistic Evolution & Evolutionary Creationism
    You accept that the Universe and life came about according to natural laws that God put in place; you view the Genesis account to be merely a metaphor and not to be taken literally.
    4. Creationism: Flat Earthers & Geocentrists
    These are two groups which are sometimes put together because their extreme views. Neither group is very large anymore, although they were more common in the past. They don't have much influence in modern society, but the mere fact that they continue to exist is interesting in itself.
    5. Young Earth Creationism
    Perhaps the largest and most vocal group of creationists currently active in America relies upon the most literal interpretation of the Genesis account in comparison to other forms of special creationism.
    6. Intelligent Design
    Intelligent Design is the most recent form of creationism to develop, but its roots go back much further. Fundamentally speaking, Intelligent Design is based upon the idea that the existence of God could be deduced from the existence of intricate design in the universe. People that belong to this group don’t (publicly) subscribe to any one brand of Creationism, but merely suggest that Creationism should be taught along with evolution.
    7. Other (Please specify)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just believe it's too complex and amazing not to have intelligence behind it all. Other than this, I have no great burning need to force it into school curriculum. If anyone must have creationism mentioned in schools, then just say that many believe there is intelligence behind the material universe. No need to stuff it with lots of god talk.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

your categories are pretty narrow. Out of them I'd say i'm a combo of Old Earth Creationism and Intelligent Design. However, by no means do I think it should be taught in school. I don't even know what I think about that.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Ok admendment to Intelligent Design, if you believe this it doesn't mean you want it taught it public schools, it just so happens that this group tends to prsue that. I didn't mean to imply thats what you wanted. I provided 7 categories and an other, I don't think that's too narrow.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think you need to narrow your question to "For those who believe that the bible is God-inspired".

I KNOW God exists, because He rescued me from a horrible life. Quite dramatically and neatly.

My logical mind screams, HOW COULD I KNOW how God involved Himself in creation? I wasn't there.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have to go into the intelligent design category since it is obvious to me that what we see around us is too complex to arise out of sheer chance, and that is common sense the more complex something is the less likely to arise by chance.

• Honesty
    Honesty

7. Other (Please specify)

I wasn't alive then.

Besides, why should it matter to a simple person like me how it was accomplished?

• Legolas
    Legolas

I don't think there is a god the way people/religion think there is.

Aliens coming here starting life makes a hell of alot more since to me then a loving god which we see no proof of in this world!

Did you ever watch Stargate or Star Track..When they went to underdeveloped worlds and had to perform something in front of one of the people ...they thought they were gods!....That is what I think has happened in our case!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

7. Other

Specifically, I don't think it is an important question to answer in order to establish the existence of God. Nor do I believe the existence of God can be established scientifically.

I do believe evolution occurs and that there are even recent beneficial mutations among humans.

This photo shows the feet of one of the mutant Vadoma, commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as "the Two-Toed Tribe" of Zimbabwe. The entire tribe is not two-toed, but this recessive genetic trait is passed down to a substantial minority of offspring. It results from a single mutation on chromosome number seven. Those who inherit the anomaly are not in any way disadvantaged by the disorder (which would not be true if they felt a need for a pair of Converse) and the tribesmen claim that such mutants are able to climb trees better than those with "normal" feet. The big toe on these feet functions almost like an opposable thumb.

If the environmental needs lend to a need to climb trees and this mutation is indeed an aid in that pursuit, it is obviously one that will become prized and those who have this mutation will be sought out for mating. Over time, this mutation would become more and more common. This is reasonable. However, the people will not eventually morph into birds.

I do not find a lot of evidence to support extraorder evolution (for instance mammals becoming reptiles or vice-versa), which leaves me supposing that unless we can arrive at an evolutionary model to explain the special explosions that have occurred we must allow room for the possibility of external manipulation. I haven't seen such a model yet.

So, I provisionally believe in a mixture of design, evolution, and guided evolution. I do not think ID needs to be taught in school.

I am very open to the concept that my current concepts will, without fail, change. Hopefully that process will continue until I die.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

>>>>>>Ok admendment to Intelligent Design, if you believe this it doesn't mean you want it taught it public schools, it just so happens that this group tends to prsue that. I didn't mean to imply thats what you wanted. I provided 7 categories and an other, I don't think that's too narrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit