Why are Witnesses better at being "Mean" than being "Nice"?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Odrade....yer getting smarter all the time.....or else I'm just noticing. Well worded.

Gumbytherosegiver

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I know a JW woman and she is pleasant.

Yeah BS, she may be - but she still believes you're gonna die at armageddon and the birds are gonna pick your eyes out! Oh - and how wonderful it will be to see Jehovah's righteous judgement being carried out, yes, she's actually looking forward to seeing that happen to you if she's following current WT teaching.

Has she told you that.

Nah, thought not....

Back on topic, I agree with Odrade. I think it's a group mentality which develops. Then it depends on what extreme the group goes to in its way of thinking. I suppose it could even be applied to some extent to other groups eg children in the school playground where groups split, again a 'them and us' thing until either they begin to think outside of their own group and the group dissolves, or they become very insular to make outsiders afraid of them - but then this 'terrorising' eventually turns inwards breeding more fear and bullying within the group itself.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The Watchtower is run by psychopaths

Notice:people usually imitate the God that they worship

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So, why are certain people on this board better at being mean or insensitive, rather than nice and caring and generous?

Probably because "bad associations spoil useful habits". We've been trained very well by the Watchtower, for too long. The bad conduct we learned from the Watchtower doesn't disappear overnight, unfortunately. It takes time.

JWs may sometimes help one another on an individual level, but I never saw any effort to help the poor, even their own, on an organizational or congregational level. Unlike the Catholics who the JWs love to criticize, the kingdom halls have no donation boxes designated to help the poor.

W

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

• I only hurt/shun you because I love you
    • I'm doing this because I love you and I want what is best for you.
    • If I didn't love you I wouldn't care what happened to you.
    • I love you and want you to make it through the end

When people are taught that "love = pain" there is no limit to how hurtful they can be and how oblivious to the hurt.

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

What is love?

When we claim that it's love

that we have for someone,

are we correct?

BlessedStar

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

The answer is easy... they "serve" a mean God.

• Legolas
    Legolas

That's right BS they are not all like that just about 90-95% of them....and if you think that because you know 'one' person that is not like that then you are sadly mistaken...BTW whoever it is that you know I would be willing to bet that they JUST put on an 'I am a good person' face...and I can say that because I know more then just 'one' of them!

Now to asnwer your question JH...I think it is because they have too many pressures on them from being in that cult.

Trying to be a 'perfect' person will do that to a person every time...they are just miserable inside and are not allowed to show it because JW's are supposed to have the 'truth' and be happy people!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

• I only hurt/shun you because I love you
      • I'm doing this because I love you and I want what is best for you.
      • If I didn't love you I wouldn't care what happened to you.
      • I love you and want you to make it through the end

When people are taught that "love = pain" there is no limit to how hurtful they can be and how oblivious to the hurt.
      Bingo!
  • poppers
    poppers

Your question reminds me of a little social psychology experiment I did with an 8th grade Social Studies class. I had a volunteer leave the room and instructed everyone else to stand and face the back of the classroom. The volunteer was then told to come back into the room - and sure enough, after about 15 seconds the volunteer, without asking what was going on, stood and faced the back of the room.

Doing what others are doing, even if there is no explanation, appeals to a part of us which feels we must belong to the group. When there are explicit directions to follow, independant action is further undermined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit