Roll Up the Rim to Win~ Truly a Loving Provision of Jehovah

by damselfly 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• damselfly
    damselfly

Random memory of the week while drinking my double single this morning. Do any of my fellow Canucks remember when this contest first came out in Canada and hearing this story?

A single mother pioneer sister with low income was having doubts about being able to continue pioneering due to having vehicle troubles, lots of expensive repairs versus no income to get them fixed. While on coffee break at the local Tim Horton's there was a man behaving very rudely in line behind her. When it was her turn to order he pushed ahead and took her spot in line. She was tempted to set him straight but decided against it. When she rolled up her coffee cup rim she couldn't believe it! She had won the grand prize!! A brand shiny and new van!! Perfect for field service.

Of course it was said that due to this sister's humble attitude while in service to god that Jehovah loving provided her the means to be able to continue her ministry.

So what I want to know is who is "loving providing" me my free "hot beverage of my choice any size?" I can't decide if god is trying to kill me off before armageddon by raising my blood pressure? or is it Satan and his demons leading me into temptation by causing me to become addicted to caffeine? Any way I don't really care cause Whoo Hooo!!! Free coffee.

Thoughts? Do any of you remember this story? Is it about as likely as the demon smurf? LOL!

Dams

• Legolas
    Legolas

I do know a 'sister' that won!..She was not a pioneer though.

But come on...who spends more time at Tim's then JW's?..LOL

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I've never heard the story, but it could be true. JW's or any other religion will pick up stories like these and spread them around to show how 'God' is helping the little people. However, they forget to mention that for every one person that get their prayers answered in a seemingly unexplainable way there are a million more who don't. By only talking about the ones that do people are given false impressions and false hope.

• Legolas
    Legolas

How long ago was it that you heard that story anyway...the lady I know won the Jimmy. So that was what 4-5 years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Urban legend--no one can ever remember the sister's name or congregation in stories like this. Wouldn't it be possible to check with the Tim Horton company to see if such a contest was ever held and who won? Wouldn't there be news stories about it?

Blondie

• Legolas
    Legolas

No Blondie I know a person who won.. she was in our congo.

• damselfly
    damselfly

This was from New Brunswick I think probably around 4-5 years ago.

But come on...who spends more time at Tim's then JW's?..LOL

I know! How could a JW not win anything?!

But really, is my free coffee from god or satan?

Dams

• Legolas
    Legolas

Yep that is it Dams...She was NOT a pioneer though...she was from here but moved over to Fredericton for 10 months to take an esthtics course...she was a single mother though!

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    But really, is my free coffee from god or satan?

All coffee is evil, so says the mormons and everyone knows there the only ones that really end up in heaven (I saw it on south park).

• blondie
    blondie

Then it would be wrong for her or anyone else to attribute it God singling her out. We have had long threads about this. I point to the family that was going home from a convention, stopped at a rest stop and were all murdered....was that God's will?

I have heard of JWs being pressured to give away such winnings too.

w93 6/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Since Christians do not wager money, may they accept tickets or participate in drawings in which they may win prizes?

A store or a business, though, may use drawings as a means of advertising. All a person has to do is submit his name or send in a form or a ticket, without buying anything. The drawing is part of the advertising scheme; it is designed to be an impartial method of deciding who will be given the prize or prizes. Certain Christians might feel that they could accept the prize in a drawing that did not involve gambling, just as they could accept free samples or other presents that a business or a store might use in its advertising program.

However, some Christians would shun anything of this sort, not wanting to stumble or confuse others and also seeking to keep far from any enticement to trust so-called Lady Luck. As Isaiah 65:11 shows, God’s servants do not link themselves with "the god of Good Luck" or "the god of Destiny." They may also feel that they would not want to be part of any publicity that winners might be required to share in. Those who feel this way should certainly not be critical of a Christian or Christians whose conscience allows them to be involved in such drawings.—Compare Romans 14:1-4.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit