My daughter on religion

by Narkissos 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My 9 y-o daughter regularly rents kid movies. Yesterday she took The Prince of Egypt, which is a cartoon version of Moses' story. As she watched it this afternoon, I was kind of curious of what she would feel about it. Especially as she is very fond of Egyptian mythology, and in this story the Egyptians and their gods are the villains.

So we had quite an interesting conversation, especially on monotheism vs. polytheism.

At some point I asked her: "What would you prefer, one God or several?"

She thought for a moment and answered: "One."

-- "Why?"

-- "Because I guess many gods mean a lot to obey."

-- "OK, but if you are unhappy with one you can look for another; if there is only one and he bothers you, you can't escape him."

-- "Yes, but he can realise he's a pain in the ass and change."

-- "And a god among many couldn't?"

-- "The others wouldn't let him."

We also discussed more generally about religion and the lack thereof, and she made the following remark: "With religion life runs slower."

-- "What do you mean? Religion is a loss of time?"

-- "No, she says. Actually you live more. You pay more attention to life."

Tonight she decided she would "pray" before going to bed. She improvised a ritual of hers in front of the window and just said: "Thank you, sun; thank you, moon."

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I think it's wonderful when kids are free to express their ideas, opinions, and feelings about things as they grow and change...they fascinate me.

~Merry

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

WOW! that's heady man! somehow, the image of you in my head, having these conversations with your child, really is sort of trippy to me.

but, i think by the sounds of it, you are a really cool father, well done.

but also, her logic is totally wild. i love it. that life runs slower on religion because you appreciate it more. but her ritual, her polytheistic ritual, says a lot. takes me back to a place in time, long before i ever came along. hehe... kids. always giving me a run for my money.

cheers,

TS

• gumby
    gumby
    but also, her logic is totally wild. i love it. that life runs slower on religion because you appreciate it more. but her ritual, her polytheistic ritual, says a lot. takes me back to a place in time, long before i ever came along. hehe... kids. always giving me a run for my money.

Well, I can tell your daughter is smarter than my dumb arse....no surprise there.

I'm still stuck on her comment about religion. I'm not sure what she means by "religion." Does she mean looking to a creator to thank? I'm still thinkin like a damn dub dammit!

Smart dad, smart kid

Narkster, Im with tetrapodbastard...that was a trippy conversation. Was your little girl ever a witness.... or did you exit before she was born....I've forgotten?

I told ya I was a dumbass...didn't I now?

Gumby

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

That was kinda trippy. Your daughter has an old soul.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

wow. that's awesome Narkissos. I love when my children teach me about life or religion. They have such a fresh way to look at things.....

you must be such a cool dad Narkissos.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Tonight she decided she would "pray" before going to bed. She improvised a ritual of hers in front of the window and just said: "Thank you, sun; thank you, moon."

That's cute!

Looks like you have the beginnings of a little Wiccan girl on your hands.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Looks like you have the beginnings of a little Wiccan girl on your hands.

rofl!

• Odrade
    Odrade

Your daughter is a thinker. Very interesting. Maybe her comment about "religion" is referring to spirituality, the type that some indigenous populations have, where they recognize the pattern of life and how everything is interwoven together: nature and man. If so, her appreciation for the sun and moon as symbols of "religion" is very astute and instinctual. Kudos to you for encouraging her to think it out for herself.

• gumby
    gumby
    Maybe her comment about "religion" is referring to spirituality, the type that some indigenous populations have, where they recognize the pattern of life and how everything is interwoven together: nature and man. If so, her appreciation for the sun and moon as symbols of "religion" is very astute and instinctual. Kudos to you for encouraging her to think it out for herself.

If Nark comes on here and tells me Odrade was right about his little girls idea of "religion"...I'm gonna start worshipping Odrade I tell ya.

I'm still waitin till he tells me if his little girl was ever exposed to the witnesses or he's been out more than 9 years. Anyone remember if he don't answer me soon? I wanna go to bed now.

Gumby

Edited to add....never mind ...he's been out since the late eighties...I peeked at his very first post here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit