Ever BUILD a Kingdom Hall?

by Gregor 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• ballistic
    ballistic

Actually I just remembered on one project I was working over night painting the interior listening to the radio, and this elder would complain about various song lyrics. In particular "all that she wants is another baby".

Hell I just want to get re-instated so I can play some lyrics they'll really freak out about. Even during "hall cleaning".

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Planning to build one soon.A sort of roach motel type design

• Cellist
    Cellist

Uninformed,

First off, I've never felt "angry" about the whole thing. What I expressed was that I felt "uneasy". I don't know why you think that I'm upset with you or any of the hard-working tradespeople. I'm upset with the propoganda machine, otherwise known as the WBTS. For their own purposes they gave it a spin that was not real.

The contractors that I first heard this from were friends. There was an economic downturn in the area at that time. A sizeable part of their income was from "quickbuilds". It was what kept them afloat. Do I blame them for taking money for their hard work? No. Do I blame the "spin doctors" of the WTS for presenting a false picture? Yes. It's just another example of them twisting the facts for their own greedy, manipulative purposes.

You didn't address my other point. The professionals, who were there representing their trade, but never received pay. At one quick-build, one of them was quite dumbfounded to find out that some were getting money.

Cellist

• uninformed
    uninformed

cellist, YOU SAID-------------------------------

First off, I've never felt "angry" about the whole thing. What I expressed was that I felt "uneasy". I don't know why you think that I'm upset with you or any of the hard-working tradespeople. I'm upset with the propoganda machine, otherwise known as the WBTS. For their own purposes they gave it a spin that was not real.

The contractors that I first heard this from were friends. There was an economic downturn in the area at that time. A sizeable part of their income was from "quickbuilds". It was what kept them afloat. Do I blame them for taking money for their hard work? No. Do I blame the "spin doctors" of the WTS for presenting a false picture? Yes. It's just another example of them twisting the facts for their own greedy, manipulative purposes.

You didn't address my other point. The professionals, who were there representing their trade, but never received pay. At one quick-build, one of them was quite dumbfounded to find out that some were getting money.

Cellist,

First off, I don't believe you. "a sizeable part of their income"??? You're getting some bad information.

If some professionals were selling their time to the QB, then they weren't volunteers were they?

Look, I'm with you that the WT has their own "greedy manipulative purposes", but can't see why you are taking such a position on this issue.

I have been an elder in the local congregation at three different KH-QB's and what you are saying was not true in those cases.

How can you be sure your information is correct?

u

• LDH
    LDH

What would be most interesting is finding out whether said people were reimbursed in CASH.

Follow me:

1. Volunteer spends money on supplies and equipmeent

2. Volunteer donates time on QB

3. Volunteer makes copies of receipts, and turns in one set

4. Volunteer gets reimbursed in cash

5. At tax time, Volunteer writes off ALL expenses

Is this scenario plausible? Double dipping?

• Cellist
    Cellist

uninformed,

My information came directly from the people making the money. I don't believe I've ever stated that this was the common experience. They never said that they were volunteers. The official propoganda machine said they were volunteers.

My position on this issue is that the WTS had their own "greedy manipulative purposes" to serve. I have absolutely nothing against workers being paid for their hard work, or professionals being reimbursed for expenses. But why keep it hidden?

There was a "grey area". Everyone knew the "worldly" contractors were paid and that supplies had to be bought. Then comes this grey area. Some of the JWs were in the same role as the "worldly" contractors and suppliers. Some were in the position of only being reimbursed for "expenses". Some did the work completely at their own expense. But all the JWs involved were presented in the same light. Both to the congregation and the newspapers. This is the point I find fault with.

At the time, it was a source of uneasiness. How could Jehovah's clean and holy organization misrepresent the truth? The first in a long line of lies that we caught them at.

That's all it means to me. But please bear with the people who are just finding out and are dealing with the shock. I don't think they mean to be disparaging about the hard work done by the brothers. A little indignation upon finding out that they were lied to and manipulated is understandable.

Cellist

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Many Many! About 25 or so.

Dismembered

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    What would be most interesting is finding out whether said people were reimbursed in CASH.

G'day LDH,

All payments I know of were made by cheque in South Australia and New South Wales. I'd be surprised if it were different elsewhere but we're a long way from Kansas.

I thought this would be a joyous thread on the comradship of working as a team - what ratbag buggered it up? <---retorical question - no replies please

unclebruce

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I was actively involved in KH building throughout my high-school years. I probably went to 20-30 builds in that time. I loved them! I met my wife at one. It wasn't until I joined a trade union and began to study labor law, and OSHA safety regulations that I realized what a scam KH builds are.

The ultimate labor scam pulled off by the Society, is getting JW tradesman to travel to New York City (arguably one of the highest labor markets in the country) and "donate" their work.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    I have always felt rather unsure of how to feel about this. On one hand, it's only right that if they're going to ask someone to help out repeatedly they should reimburse them. But this wasn't done with all the trades, only some. And it was kept very quiet, which made me feel that there was something shady going on.

Wow, paid to work on a QB. I've got no problem with a workmen being paid for his work, I am a union tradesman after all. But when you get paid, as well as recieve all the "spiritual credit" for "volunteering" at QB's? That's wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit