i have a question

by brandon_the many 90 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brandon_the many
    brandon_the many

Would the passage from New World Translation be a miss print....because in the Holy Bible the Word is God......So if God is not capitalized..then what God is the book referring to...because there is only one Father and one Living God witch is Jesus......

please help me , because this has been puzzling me......

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

John 1:1

I n [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

John 1 (King James Version)
    King James Version (KJV)

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

• daystar
    daystar

No, they changed it to support their doctrine against the trinity doctrine.

BTW, most of the people here are are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses.

Welcome!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome Brandon,

Assuming this is a candid question...

No it's not a misprint (it would actually take two, "a god"), but a deliberate (mis?)translation designed to suit the JW doctrine that Jesus is not "God" in the absolute sense.

Btw this is (mostly) an ex-JW forum.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

According to Watchtower theology, the word "God" in Jo1:1 does not necessarily refer to the One we recognize as the Supreme Being

In clause 2, the word refers to the person we recognize as "deity" - "God"

In clause 3, however, evidently because of the absence of the definite article, [THE] they argue that the word "God" undergoes a shift in meaning, making it mean "A mighty one"

So, in effect, the WTS says that Jo is saying: "The Word was with God, and the Word was a mighty one"

Most scholars who have commented on this verse do not recognize this distinction, and have shown, with some justfication, that the WTS is inconsistent in the applyng of this explanation.

For a review of the JW position you might log onto the official WT web site, where you will be able to read a brochure on the Trinity online.

For an alternative point of view you could log onto Forananswer.com, or www.bible.ca/trinity.com

Cheers

• ferret
    ferret

Welcome Brandon

• KW13
    KW13

What has already been said is perfectly right.

By the way welcome to the forum

• jgnat
    jgnat
    ...So if God is not capitalized..

I would like to point out that the earliest manuscripts don't have capitalization of any sort. Capitalization came much, much later.

http://www.encyclopediaofauthentichinduism.org/articles/16_the_prime_origin.htm

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

That's my understanding as well. There are no capital or lower case letters in Greek.

• KW13
    KW13

But have the society made it a small g on purpose because if it was referring to God still they would of capitalized it yeah?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome brandon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit