Fluff: Would you...

by serendipity 21 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

A few weeks ago, I was at the bank drive-through cashing a check for $331. The teller sent out $3310. I was shocked and immediately sent it back.

I told my daughter when I got home, and she said "Why didn't you keep it?" I told her I didn't even think about keeping it, I just sent it back. I told her the bank has controls and would have been able to track me down. Besides, it was the honest and moral thing to do.

Have you ever been in a situation where something valuable was given to you that didn't belong to you? Did you return it ? Was it a hard decision?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a good thing you did give it back. Other than it being the right thing to do, the bank would have gotten thier money back from you (trust me they would have figured it out).

Honestly I would have done the same thing.

Ya did good!

Josie

• damselfly
    damselfly

I would have given it back as well. They will know who the money went to.

Dams

• Purza
    Purza

Yes, I would have given it back. Its all ways good to have a clear conscience.

There was a mention in our local paper about a woman finding a wallet with 15 $100 bills and she returned the wallet (with the money) to the person it belonged. In discussing this with my husband we both said we would have done the same -- because if it was our wallet we would have wanted the money returned to us. Common courtesy.

Purza

• juni
    juni

I agree with the others. I would have sent it back also. I believe in being honest and I don't need any organization to force that idea on me.

Juni

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I would have given it back also, it would bother me till no end if I kept it.

I even return pens, if by accident I take them.

Brooke

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Yup, I would have returned it as well.

You got me to thinking (sometimes a dangerous thing). I think a $3000 error like that would be easy for most of us to return. I think that it would be harder for some to return $10 or $20. I would do it, but I know I'd think twice about it.

CountryGuy

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I would have given it back also, it would bother me till no end if I kept it.

I have to agree with Brooke here too...but in contrast I do think that everyone has their price....what if you happened to find £1m or $1m in cash in an old garage...when 6 months earlier you knew that a bank or an insurance company had been robbed of the same money....you are not to know for sure whether its the same money...what would you do...would keep it and spend it or hand it in the authorities?

Would you answer be different if it were 10m and if so how so?

DB74

• Gill
    Gill

I was sent six hundred pounds in Premium bonds a few months ago.

I rang them straight away and told them that I hadn't bought them.

They thanked me for telling them as they said it would have been virtually impossible for them to trace me and the fact that they weren't mine.

But I'm glad I didn't keep them, even though tempted.

I believe in 'goes around, comes around', Positive and Negative.

I'm now waiting for my payback. I know it will come! I've seen it happen too many times.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'd have given it back too..

the only time i kept any money was in a grocery store..

i bought 7 bux worth of groceries, paid with a ten, the boy at the register gave me back change for a 20..

i told him he gave me too much change back, that i'd only given him a 10..

he takes the money back.. counts back out.. 13 bux.. i tell him again.. i ONLY GAVE YOU A TEN..

he takes the money back.. counts back out 13 bux.. after the 3rd time i took the 13 bux and dragged my squaliln kids out of the store and took them to mcdonalds on the grocery stores dime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit