Is Jehovah a God of love?

by SickofLies 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Have you ever read the book of numbers

God is right, (Gir as they call you)

Have you read chapter 31 of numbers ? You might wanna change your avatar name eh? You'll especially like verse 18.

Gumrepulsed

• startingover
    startingover

FREE WILL?

In what way does free will have anything to do with it if god is going to destroy anyone who doesn't do it his way?

• greendawn
    greendawn

When Jesus said one must hate his family and himself he meant that one had to focus everything on entering into the kingdom of God all earthly goods were to be ignored so as not to make one fail in the truly important heavenly goals.

Jstalin that story about Elisha is based on a mistranslation the Hebrew word translated as little children should have youths, that same word was used to describe Joseph when he was 17 years old.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Have you ever read the book of numbers?

Yes I have, many times, and it profoundly disgusts me. Even when I was still desperately trying to "love Jehovah", I just couldn't make myself love him. I do not believe for a single second that the bible depicts a "loving" God. I have read the bible with an open mind. Just imagine for a second that the bible is not about God, but about a very mighty man who rules over the whole earth. Would you consider this man a "loving" man?

I almost hate to write this, because I STILL want to love God. But in my honest opinion, God is jealous and vindictive. If Moses hadn't bargained with him as much as he did, I doubt that a single Israelite would have survived. Oh, speaking of Moses.. he was a God fearing man, and he did everything God told him to do. He spent 40 years of his life, leading a stubborn people through the wilderness. But he was never allowed to enter the promised land. He got to climb on a mountain and take a peek at it, but he never entered it, because of a mistake he made. In all my attempts to be a good human being, I will not even come close to the God fearing and God loving attitude that Moses had. So if even Moses didn't qualify for a little reward, then why should I?

The old testament is drenched with war, war, war.. were all those people, killed in all those wars bad people? Were they? Or were a lot of them good people who worked hard and honestly to provide for their families? Maybe they didn't serve God because they had chosen to serve other gods. Free choice? What if I put a caramel bar and a chocolate bar in front of you and tell you that you have a free choice as to which one you want to eat. But hey, if you choose the caramel bar, I will certainly kill you. Where exactly is the free choice in this? If you have a choice between option #1 and option #2, if it was a true FREE choice, then no punishment and no reward should be attached to what you choose. Yes, we have a choice, but we do not have a FREE choice.

No, I do not believe that Jehovah is a God of love. I truly wish I could believe it, but I can't.

• robhic
    robhic
    "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own soul, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

The question "In this case, who would want to be his disciple?" seems to be more relevant.

When Jesus said one must hate his family and himself he meant that one had to focus everything on entering into the kingdom of God all earthly goods were to be ignored so as not to make one fail in the truly important heavenly goals.

Well, if this is what he meant then he coulda made it a little easier to understand! A person reading this (myself) would be repulsed at this thought the way it is written.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    God is right, (Gir as they call you)

Have you read chapter 31 of numbers ? You might wanna change your avatar name eh? You'll especially like verse 18.

I know that verse. Moab should have repented from their sins instead of trying to get Balaam to curse Israel. If you go against God, what do you expect to happen?

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    created evil, and that would not make him a "god of love". So God must have created the angels with free will, and then Lucifer chose evil. This means that evil, evil as an alternative, existed alongside with the existence of God since "the beginning of time". That is, God is not the only "thing" that has existed for all eternity.

Evil has always existed, God as a character in the bible was the frist person to try and tempt Adam and Eve by placing a forbidden tree that was 'pleasing to the eye' tempting to eat. Why would a loving God place the pontential for evil right in the middle of a perfectly created garden? It makes no sence excpt to say that God is a control freak and he likes to continually test people.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    If you have a choice between option #1 and option #2, if it was a true FREE choice, then no punishment and no reward should be attached to what you choose. Yes, we have a choice, but we do not have a FREE choice.

No, I do not believe that Jehovah is a God of love. I truly wish I could believe it, but I can't.

What if God punished no one? Then what is to stop someone like Satan and Angels from killings human for the fun of it?

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    What if God punished no one? Then what is to stop someone like ;Satan and Angels from killings human for the fun of it?

Indeed, God keeps all the fun of killing people to himself.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Testing the time of my area to see the time of post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit