Should we evaluate satan's thoughts, to see if we agree or not?

by DavidChristopher 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cosmic
    cosmic

DC,

And what do you think of us being "waves, tossed about upon the sea"?

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Why is satan supposed to be so bad? What did he actually do? He gets the blame, sure, but what does he explicitly do? Can’t explain why you did something bad? Blame the devil! An excuse.

He tempted Adam & Eve by telling them the truth! If they ate from the tree they would be the equal of god. Is this true? They ate from the tree. God got pissed and threw them out....

Satan told eve that she would not die. He lied!

... And the bit about tempting jesus. So what? He tempted him, jesus declined the offer, no-harm-no foul as far as I can see. What does satan actually do that makes him so bad?

Are you serious? Satan tried to mislead the one person who could save us from eternal death and you say no harm no foul because he failed? What if someone threw a stone at your head and missed? Would you say no harm no foul?

Tell folks to slaughter women and children (but keeping the more attractive women for wives)?

Not quite accurate.

Destroy whole towns or civilizations? Kill 70,000 people because some guy took a census and a myriad of other nasty things? No, it was god (the one who supposedly loves everyone) doing this! Not satan...

You have no idea of the chaos that would erupt upon all of exsistence if God did not put his foot down. God sees things we do not. God has experiences and knowledge of the human race that we can never gain during our brief life on earth. He let Cain off the hook for murder. Then what happen next? Another man killed a guy and claimed he should be forgiven if cain is to be forgiven. Next thing you know we have world full of violence that must be cleansed by a flood! You see what happens here? If you think God is evil for killing 70,000 people? Over 200,000 people per year are murdered by other humans. Humans should keep this in mind whenever they are thinking of taking the moral high ground against God! How many people killed when America dropped 2 A bombs on Japan? What about the poor innocent cilvilians( women and children) who had nothing to with that war between US and Japan? What about the German air blitz on London? Many women and chlidren were killed during those air raids who nothing to do with the war.

• Gill
    Gill

GodisRight - Eve was going to die anyway. God had not allowed her and Adam to eat from the Tree of Life. They did not die on that day. They lived a long and fruitful life. You don't know if God would EVER have allowed them to eat of the Tree of Life. They did Know Good and Bad after eating the fruit. They chose to make their own decisions.

God is supposed to be all powerful. He is NOT the USA. Also, there is a lot of controversy over whether dropping the nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was necessary. Some might say that the President had a itchy trigger finger and was keen to test his new toy. You can't compare the destruction, massacers and genocide, and having said that some ludicrous laws in the OT, with the wars that the human race engages in.

You may WANT God to be all ways right and good, but wanting something doesn't necessarily make it so.

Having said that, it raises the question are there 2 Gods that the Bible is talking about.

1. - The homicidal, jealous maniac of the old Testament.

2. - The 'God is Love' character of the New Testament.

Could it be that these two separate collections of books do not belong together.

The only constant seems to be Satan. He does nothing bad in the OT and is only accused of being bad in the NT.

So what's that all about?

• wombat
    wombat

GodIsRight....

If you think God is evil for killing 70,000 people? Over 200,000 people per year are murdered by other humans

Good point (Holy Shyte - I'm typing in blood now - how did that happen. My font/colour changed after cut and pasting your comment..)

You made a valid point. God is less evil than humans.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

If Satan was wanting to BE God, and give up his status as a angel created FROM God, how is that rebellion? Is it a case of taking devotion and worship too far instead? To rebel is to get away from authority isn't it? NOT become it.

Where the confederates wanting to become the union?

Or where they wanting to become their own country, seperate from the union?

I think there is more to the story, that needs to be investigated, before blaming someone for our problems. imo

• robhic
    robhic

GodisRight says:

Me: Tell folks to slaughter women and children (but keeping the more attractive women for wives)?

GiR: Not quite accurate.

Not quite accurate? OK, then what about this:

Hosea 13:16 their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

In any case, the god of the OT is a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, jealous genocidal maniac. What a great guy!

GiR:You have no idea of the chaos that would erupt upon all of exsistence if God did not put his foot down. God sees things we do not. God has experiences and knowledge of the human race that we can never gain during our brief life on earth.

Really? And you know this for fact? Did he whisper it in your ear? Specific examples that prove it was the intervention of "god" that averted some catasrophe and not explainable circumstances would be nice.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    Really? And you know this for fact? Did he whisper it in your ear? Specific examples that prove it was the intervention of "god" that averted some catasrophe and not explainable circumstances would be nice.

What is there to prove? Why would God have to whisper it in my ear? I have eyes! I have access to the news. Mankind is descending into chaos as we speak. We are destroying the ozone and poisoning the air. "Unneccessary diseases are running rampant. Poilical curruption is on the rise. Hatred between Western Society and Eastern civilazation is growing. Conflict in Africa and Middle East is never ending. The Internet itself is comparable to the wild wild west. America is sinking into moral decay. More babies are being born out of wedlock with out a father figure. And the lawlessness and crimes that are being committed -- I don't no where to start. Gangs are taking over various American cities. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse day by day.

• robhic
    robhic
    I don't no where to start. Gangs are taking over various American cities. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse day by day.

Sorry, but that has a very familiar "JW Party-line" sound to it. Sure things are bad and probably will get worse in time. Dwelling on only the negative will give you that perception.

But there is so much positive today that to not add that into your thinking could prove suicidal. There is bad and there is good. What's new?

You've got so many things people even 25 years ago didn't have. I know 25 years seems like a huge amount of time to you (a lifetime?), but to an old fart like me it isn't so bad! Give it a chance and try to view things from both sides...

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    Sorry, but that has a very familiar "JW Party-line" sound to it. Sure things are bad and probably will get worse in time. Dwelling on only the negative will give you that perception.

But there is so much positive today that to not add that into your thinking could prove suicidal. There is bad and there is good. What's new?

JW my foot. My former neighborhood was a peaceful quite surburban street when I moved there. 12 years later -- drive by shooting and dope dealing. My family and I got the heck out of their. The "sound" I heard was gun shots, not JW rheteric. The "perception" was I could get killed while taking out the garbage or while I am cutting the grass. I think God I am living in a new peaceful neighborhood free of drugs and gangs. The "positive" is that I have God in my life!

• kid-A
    kid-A

Humans should keep this in mind whenever they are thinking of taking the moral high ground against God!

Get real!!! If you actually believe the biblical crap about satan and adam and eve, then it logically follows that god created this universe and everything within it....yes, that would include "the capacity"

for evil if he ultimately "created" the devil. Now the classic JW response (or xtian fundy) is "oh, god gave us 'free will' so mankind 'chose' evil...." This argument is also logically bankrupt because one would have to accept that god being the ultimate 'cause' of the universe and the creator of 'free will' is still responsible for what he created. Ergo, god is equally responsible for all good and evil within the nature of reality and perception.

God then "chooses" (using HIS free will) to allow the murder and mayhem to continue on his "earth" unabated amongst the creatures he himself created. If I had children (or even a pet dog) I am LEGALLY, ETHICALLY and MORALLY responsible for their care, upbringing and guidance. Would I stand by and do nothing to help them if it was in my power to do so? NO. And if I did do nothing, I would be thrown in jail. Sad is'nt it, that the legal system established by humans proves itself morally superior to your silent and impotent tribal deity???

-GodisDead

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit