PRISON

by uninformed 46 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Clam
    Clam

Btttttt

• Terry
    Terry
    Questions I felt like asking Terry was whether he would’ve preferred going to Vietnam, and if he’s a fatalist, but I felt that he must have tired of answering such pale questions. I can only implore anyone reading this to read Terry’s story. The courage of an individual set against the cowardice of an evil organisation. Uncle B is right, these guys do deserve to be heard, and some.

It was only years and years later I discovered that 99% of my fellow JW's did not know that my choice was not

either: Viet Nam or

Prison.

It was: Community Service or Prison!

The law of the land allows people the free exercise of their conscience, after all.

I had been quietly taken into the Kingdom Hall library by the (then called) Congregation Overseer and his assistant. (Bro. Gene Beard and Wally Coulter). They told me I could not choose community service because--as they termed it--it would be a compromise of my faith and integrity.

They went on to "explain"....

I would be considered property of the Military while serving the community, so they said! Thus, I would have fellowship with Satan's arrangement.

What utter twaddle!

I was cautioned in no uncertain terms that I could NOT tell any authorities they had officially spoken to me about this "decision".

Looking back I am extremely frustrated with myself.

I should have interrogated them as to why a public declaration of faith was being privately advised under anonymous instruction!

I was sentenced, you see, to work in the Terrell State Hospital instead of Prison.

What I refused, you must understand (per the Overseer's instructions) was ALTERNATE SERVICE!

To this day hardly any JW understands this issue as it was presented to me in my congregation.

T.

• Clam
    Clam
    What I refused, you must understand (per the Overseer's instructions) was ALTERNATE SERVICE!

Yes I only came to realise this Alternate Service issue after reading Crisis of Conscience. Unbelievable.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It seems to me that you men are veterans of another sort, and you share a comaraderie, and a great story, that should not be lost.

I know farkel is another veteran imprisoned objector. But I'm not sure we could coax him in to this conversation.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I KNOW who would do the documentary for us. The Engardia, director of KNOCKING.

• Terry
    Terry

When I returned to my local Kingdom Hall upon being paroled I expected some sort of collective greeting.

I got nothing!

The Congregation Overseer was waiting for me with a Pioneering application in his hand! He had forced his son to Pioneer and wanted somebody to go with him.

Biggest mistake I ever made was signing that application!

I wanted to put my life in order. Instead I tied an anchor around my ankle and jumped in the deep end.

Sigh.

T.

• Clam
    Clam
    I KNOW who would do the documentary for us. The Engardia, director of KNOCKING.

Great idea Jgnat. Great idea. By the way was Mohammed Ali offered this "alternate service" option as a c onscientiously objecting Black Moslem? Like I say this concept had been unbeknown to me until I read Ray Franz's book. In my mind this was the Govt being reasonable and fair and the Watchtower being shits idiots their normal barmy selves.

• Kaput
    Kaput
    I once read somewhere that an old(er) man with an open mind is not of much value. By the time you hit sixty, it is expected that you would have formed opinions and preferences.

A closed mind is like a closed book, just a block of wood. (Chinese proverb)

• Clam
    Clam

Also Einstein said : "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen."

• uninformed
    uninformed

Clam,

I can't remember the details on how Cassius Clay's (Ali) case came out. I think he just basically won due to Viet Nam shutting down.

I do remember some of us whining that Covington would take the case while he let his little brothers face the music.

u

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit