Special Talk - Is God still in control?

by ajayboy 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moshe
    moshe

1000 people in a city get sick and are told they have terminal cancer. They all go to a hospital for treatment and they all pray to G-d to be healed. The ones who are rich get the best medical care and are able to afford special cancer drugs that cost $100,000 a year. Those who do not have insurance get lesser medical care. Those who get well thanks G-d for being healed, those who don't accept it as G-d's will.

Now which side do you really want to be on- without insurance and prayer only? - or on the side with AAA insurance and the money to pay for experimental drugs/treatment? The few people who seem to have miraculous faith healings tell their story for the next 20 years. The other 80% who didn't get healed by G-d ,die and we never get to hear their story. Religion is not in the business of keeping talley of failures when it comes to prayer.

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?

Epicurus (341-270 BCE)

• LDH
    LDH

The problem with JW mind-control talks like this--They phrase the question with two assumed thoughts already in mind.

1. That there is a God

2. That he ever was in control

Shouldn't a really informative talk start without making blanket assumptions?

Lisa

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a great resource for illustrations. http://www.preachingtoday.com/illustrations/

You may think I'm messing with you, but I assure you, most of the illustrations I've heard in the Kingdom Hall I heard first at my church.

• Kaput
    Kaput
    Does anyone have an effective illustration or experience for this talk?

Picture God in Vegas shootin' craps for the last gazillion years. There's your illustration.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"Picture God in Vegas shootin' craps for the last gazillion years. There's your illustration."
    HAH!! Good one. I can see him now, lounging back on a chez, surrounded by his pasty-faced cherubs, all swarthy and grimey in his lustrious robes, waiting for some luck to come his way and his distrust in the dealer growing day by day but no having the balls to say anything.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

welcome ajayboy

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

After many years in hiding the WTS is actually making a sad attempt to go back to its "roots". This special talk is featured on the back of one of the latest magazines. I don't remember seeing that before. The also are trying to get people to hand out tracts to advertise their conventions. Dosn't this seem a little late? I can't believe they are trying to resurrect things from the past.

As per the talk, I'm sure it will be a good one (...zzzzz...zzzz...zz)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit