Laundry Question: Suede

by AudeSapere 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I *know* someone here must know the answer this question...

How do you get butter out of suede (without paying $40 to the dry cleaners)???

Anyone??

-Aude.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Aude I just found this tip that might help you...

Try corn starch by eHow Friend
    For grease or salad dressing stains: Before it sets, lightly pour a good amount of corn starch onto the stain and let set for at least an hour. Gently rub off the powder with a soft cloth or clean towel. This usually dissolves grease if you catch it early.
  • damselfly
    damselfly

Vinegar?

http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/3668#q_18359

Number 6 on the list, butter on suede shoes.

Maybe try blotting with the cornstarch first.

Dams

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Damn.

No cornstarch in the house. Do you think talc (baby powder) will work just the same?

Can't hurt. Can it??

-Aude.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

alcohol - vodka is best - clean spirit

• LDH
    LDH

I've also heard that rubbing oil spots with corn meal will do the trick.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Stilla wrote: alcohol - vodka is best - clean spirit

Ummm

I'm not sure if you are being serious...

I thought they were talking about 'rubbing alcohol' - which I can't find right now. I can find the vodka easily.

You're joking about using vodka to clean suede, right??

-Aude.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No I am serious alCohol is quite a good solvent for oils and fats and is not to harsh on the suede - pure alcohol is best but a clean spirit such as vodka is next best

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Cool.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I moved recently and the rubbing alcohol is still in a box somewhere in the garage, the cornmeal got tossed out and I have a small container of baby powder.

But - I still know exactly where my vodka is! (UN-opened, of course... )

-Aude.

• alamb
    alamb

There is some cool stuff called "Thoro" in the grocery store that's only about a buck a bottle and it's like dry cleaning fluid. Read the bottle though. I haven't taken anything to the dry cleaner in years after finding this stuff.

I once had a can of pop spill on a suede purse and out of desperation threw it in the washer on cold. It worked fine. It looked better than before and I just brushed it with a toothbrush a little to pep it up.

After that I washed a suede skirt I have that I wear to Rendevous (Cowboy, Indian, authentic dress camp outs) and it turned out alright too.

Good Luck! If all else fails drink the vodka and you'll forget about the stain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit