Implied Consent: The end isn't coming let's live for today

by truthseeker 26 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I can't find the link to this page, but recently snippets of a CO meeting with the elders and MS's revealed the following:

Here are my notes from the biannual CO visit. The notes are from the CO Meeting with Elders & MS 2006 Service Year outline. The topics from WTS are Sense of Urgency, Higher Education, Independent thinking, Marital Arrg, Invalid baptisms.

Sense of Urgency - Concern among FDS that some are losing their urgency, they don't believe we're in the last days. Some say, "When the end comes, it comes" speaking of Armageddon. Appointed men what can we do to maintain a sense of urgency? Preaching the good news zealously will help us keep a sense of urgency. Don't get sidetracked with secular work or material things. Don't take a laid back view of meeting attendance. Keep on the Watch brochure, pp 25 - 27: pray continually, be realistic in expectations (this system is going to be difficult), remember the key issue is Jehovah's sovreignty our issues aren't more important, and draw close to Jehovah. We're living deep in the time of the end, don't be focusing on "paneled houses" (reference to Haggai).

Now, from a personal perspective in my hall I do not see a sense of urgency. Reading posts here of other personal experiences in their own halls would indicate an implied acceptance that the end is not near, and may not even come in their lifetime.

I see married couples who are getting homes built and taking out 30 year mortgages.

I hear the friends talk about their 401k's, and if you're not from the USA, these are retirement plans.

I observe as people go away on long weekend breaks without making up their field service time.

I hear nothing of spiritual matters, or the end times when I am attending a gathering.

I watch as elder's children go to college and get a degree.

I see adults going back to school to get a degree and work a full time job.

I hear people talk about getting a good education to get a good job.

I hear talk of people being promoted.

I observe young married witnesses go on spending sprees, having everything now and building up huge debt levels

All this in my own congregation - now think, if this is generally being repeated throughout the world, although mostly developed countries, the sense of urgency has GONE for all except the old timers and maybe the middle-aged generation.

There seems to be a new "enlightenment" age in the JW mind set - they may never admit it to their friends or family, they may even try not to admit it to themselves, but they know, in the year 2006, that things are going on exactly as they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

Recently I came to hear of a young couple who are planning to move abroad, the brother is cashing out his 401k to pay for the expenses. This may not be sound financial advice, but the couple are not concerned about retirement, they think it's decades away and they don't feel that Armaggedon is coming.

Recently Metatron made the comment that many Witnesses are in Witnesses in name only, they go to the meetings, comment, go out in service but they live their own life and have their own rules regarding blood transfusions and college education.

If this trend continues, the WT will have a very difficult time playing the Urgency card, simply because no one is listening anymore.

• carla
    carla

I asked my jw something along those lines his reply was, ' we should believe it could come any day but plan that it may not come in our lifetime'.

• greendawn
    greendawn

' we should believe it could come any day but plan that it may not come in our lifetime'.

The JWs are realising what Christian religions had always known the second coming could occur at any time but it's futile trying to poinpoint dates God keeps it as his personal secret. They should lose their sense of urgency because since 1995 the 1914 generation is according to them indefinitely long, even potentially centuries long.

Meanwhile the sense of urgency about the end served the WTS interests very well for over 100 years goading ppl on to selling their publications for nothing and thinking of the FDS as central to their salvation because they were entrusted (!!!) with the lofty preaching and separation work.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    I asked my jw something along those lines his reply was, ' we should believe it could come any day but plan that it may not come in our lifetime'.

I guess that's stage 1 in the WTS losing their firm grip on people. It's funny you wouldn't hear that comment from the platform or in a Watchtower study comment, but it is how people really think.

It's a baby step, but it's a step in the right direction nevertheless. I used to think most people believed every stinking word of it, and made sacrifices in their lives to prove it, but it looks like fewer people do that now, and these people are scratching their heads at why they don't receive more respect for it than the other guys. It definitely seems as if these college degrees and promotions don't hold anyone who wants it back from promotions within the congregations, does it.

• carla
    carla

Now if they could just realize that relationships and how you treat people matter NOW, not just keep 'working out their salvation' with a publishing company selling the rags and abandoning their families and friends.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

I agree - JW's just don't have an "urgency" about them.

I have discussed this with many of my JW relatives. Some not believing they will see "the end" in their time.

To other younger relatives, I have encouraged retirement planning. Told them we would talk again in 50 years about what we are talking about now. One strange comment by my BIL, "well - we'll just come live with you when we get old."

The problem seems to be getting them to the next level - looking into their religion. Even though their lives are not "in harmony" with JW beliefs. Try pointing that out to them and see how far you get. GOOD LUCK!!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I've heard the same kinds of remarks.This from "dyed in the woolers" Remarks like:

"Oh Paradise really means nothing to me, I'm only concerned about seeing my dad again."

" I never thought I wasn't going to die"

So now they see that almost certain death is on the horizon, they scoff the very teachings they put all their stock in. Talk about spin doctors. Yet they'd NEVER give it up

Dismembered

• daystar
    daystar

I think that "sense of urgency" may be the primary cause for so many of the problems that JWs have. It keeps one constantly on edge, constantly in a "fight or flight" state. Although not nearly as intense as that experienced during an actual physical confrontation such as in war, or while being attacked, it is very real and may lead to, I believe, post traumatic stress syndrome.

If they're losing that sense of urgency, it can only be for the better.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I actually had that same comment said to me by an elder I worked with. He spent all of his break time figuring out his 401k, buying stocks for his kids. He made many disparaging remarks about certain jobs that were below the wage he was earner (very high for unskilled labor since he is in a union).

This was also the elder that let his son go to prom with another girl in the congregation, then was surprised when all the parents of prom-age kids were in an uproar. ( I know because he told me about it at work). They thought it would be ok because they were going with another witness and not a worldy kid.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Good thread, many valid points brought out by everyone. I think many JW's are tired of being JW's and are realizing that the end is nowhere in sight but most still think it is coming so wont leave. I am in my mid 30's I think my generation is the one that is going to be one of the last "strong JW's" since our parents are products of the pre 1975 hysteria and consequent growth. After the 1995 generation change even us 30somethings are leaving, the youth...so called Gen Y and Z are all but gone and if they are around very few are regular pioneering or MS's like when I was their age. Its a sad state for the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit