WATCHTOWER and AWAKE! magazines:

Spiritual food or spiritual poison?

• jstalin
    jstalin

Intellectual novacaine.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Honesty

I remember often times raising my hand in discussion of the W&A, and repeating as a lockstep brain-washed parrott would do and claim the following. "The W&A are the best magazines in the entire world, they save lives" How sick was that?

Dismembered

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I skim through the mags even to this day. The strategy that I use for the WT is to look at the two study articles. The first study article is usually the set-up article. The second article contains the WT counsel for th R&F. I get a general ideal of the articles and then look at the paragraph about two-thirds into the second article. That paragraph contains the "zinger," or the reason why the articles were written. I then know what the R&F can and can't do.

If I want to get a better understanding of the articles I wait for Blondie's weekly review.

I don't consider the mags spiritual food or poison, just boring and a wasted effort.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

P(ropaganda)

O(pressive)

I(nsufferable)

S(nare)

O(btuse)

N(onsense)

• wombat
    wombat

NewYork44M....I am impressed. Thirty-five years ago I needed to use different colour pens to underline different key points. I could've saved hundreds of hours. Wasted time.

• beezknees
    beezknees

The watchtower & Awake mags are written by clever people using proven language patterns that will get someone open to your suggestions, they should write for politicians as this is what they do also , its amazing how whatever they put into these magazines they manage to turn into a blessing (reframing it as its called) , so instead of saying oh we got it wrong and millions now living will actually die resulting in lots of 'discouraged' worshippers, they turn it into a blessing, something we should be grateful for and just accept 'isn't it wonderful that we recieve this spiritual light from jehovah at the proper time' (or words to that effect).. and all the sheep go 'baaaaaah' in agreement,

Watchtower & Awake magazines = Great tools to keep the sheep bleating

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    NewYork44M....I am impressed. Thirty-five years ago I needed to use different colour pens to underline different key points. I could've saved hundreds of hours. Wasted time.

What I described is not a new stragegy. I read the mag using the same technique for years even as an active witnessMS/Elder. I still "underlined" the mags, but only for the benefit of those who sat near me. Had to keep up pretenses.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Huxley's soma for the JW masses.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Some food some poison - but I guess no matter how small an amount of poison, that affects the whole of the food.

I've just tried out New York44M's strategy on the current WT articles - and it does work - the next couple of weeks are about the 'little flock' and the 'great crowd' - before trying this, I thought it was just going to be a history lesson!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit